the beer and the light...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohan

Reaction score
hi guys.

is it a good idea to keep your fermenter out of the sunlight??
no direct sunlight, it is just coming through a window in the garage. but can it affect the beer??

thanks... rohan.

Howdy,

Keep your ferminting wort in as dark of a place as you can find.

I use my brewery, {it used to be a kitchen closet.}
The door shuts, and there is two other doors which shut,
shutting off the hall that the pantry is in.
and it is about as dark of a place as there is.

Yeah, the yeast don't like light.

Later man

Knife

ok thanks knife..

i put a heavy sheet around it so hope it will be ok, thanks for your help. i will make up a cabnet for it...

thanks again

I have mine in a spare bedroom, with a heavy blanket covering the window. Besides cutting light out, it seems to keep the room about 10 degrees cooler than the other rooms. I also keep the carboys in plastic tubs with the lids on.

rohan said:
ok thanks knife..

i put a heavy sheet around it so hope it will be ok, thanks for your help. i will make up a cabnet for it...

thanks again

you should be fine then... i often get lazy and just leave it in the living room with a blanket/comforter wrapped around it to keep the light away without any off (skunky/light struck) flavors

Since my last few brews have all been lagered, I keep the carboys in the fridge.

Can't stop wondering though? Does the light in the fridge really go out when I close the door? :confused: -as he tries to peak into the door to see if it is out- :confused: :confused:

2nd Street Brewery said:
Since my last few brews have all been lagered, I keep the carboys in the fridge.

Can't stop wondering though? Does the light in the fridge really go out when I close the door? :confused: -as he tries to peak into the door to see if it is out- :confused: :confused:
Even if the fridge light syated on, you would be OK. It's sunlight, and flourescents, that skunk beer, not incandesents which is what refrigerators have.

Maybe should have added a ;) on my last post. Was meant as a joke. Sort of like "if a tree falls in the forest and there's noone there to hear does it make a sound?" type question. :D

Are the yeast dead or alive when they're in the carboy?

It's quantum theory of superposition. Schroedinger's Yeast, if you will.

Cheesefood said:
Are the yeast dead or alive when they're in the carboy?

It's quantum theory of superposition. Schroedinger's Yeast, if you will.
Well then you know that the yeast are both dead and alive, the krauzen is both there and not there, the wort is both beer, and not beer...until you open the lid. :D

Remind me to tell you my theory on the Many Beers Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. :)

El Pistolero said:
Well then you know that the yeast are both dead and alive, the krauzen is both there and not there, the wort is both beer, and not beer...until you open the lid. :D

Remind me to tell you my theory on the Many Beers Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics. :)

Therefore, if I'm in bed, but my shoes are on, there's no way of knowing whether I passed out from drinking or merely went to bed and forgot to take them off.

Cheesefood said:
Therefore, if I'm in bed, but my shoes are on, there's no way of knowing whether I passed out from drinking or merely went to bed and forgot to take them off.
Not until your wife knocks the livin $hit out of you in the morning. That's when you know. :D

The light also plays games w/ your hops. The light makes a photoreaction that, essentially, skunks your brew. Miller high life doesn't suffer from this, because they don't use hops. They use a blend of spices in their brew. It's also been rumored that Corona intentially skunks their beer like this to get its distinct flavor, but I can't confirm that one.......

Another thing I never knew about - keep the beer in the dark!!
:(

I couldn't believe my luck when the physics talk started though. Mmm, quantum mechanics... ;)

Back