Following a recipe in US Gallons :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seriousbeef

Reaction score
Just hovering over a few recipies from TastyBrew, and I notice this site may well be American, and hence, so might be their gallons. So, I am in some dilemma. If the batch size is 5 gal according to tastybrew, and I presume its in UK gals, then the ingredients quantities will be matched for US gallons and it will all go pete tong. I genuinely don't know what to do. I suppose the only answer would be to recalculate and transfer everything over to UK measurements I guess?

Since it's a user driven recipe database, each recipe might be different and unmarked. Maybe you should use another source, like on BYO they list gallons and liters. Or use a book that is clear on this matter, or the recipes on this website (the authors here are reachable and their locations are listed). Or if you are really into a recipe and are not sure about the liquid volume, maybe use a beer recipe tool to verify the projected gravity, IBU, etc.

Back