Attempting to clone River Horse Tripel Horse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidCitrus

Reaction score
I emailed River Horse brewery for a recipe. They gave me the ingredients and that's it. No target numbers or percentages. This is a Belgian Style Tripel that comes in at 10% abv, is fairly dry, and fruity/spicy but not overwhelmingly so. Here's my attempt http://hopville.com/recipe/1619626/belgian-tripel-recipes/tripel-horse-clone

Can anyone double check this to see if it looks good or whether I should make changes? This is my first go at a Belgian.

Looks pretty good. Just so you know, you can harvest the yeast from the bottles of it. I did it back in January and made a dubbel with it.

I'm about to brew my 1st trippel, and was reading up on the style and liked the article on trippels in last months BYO magazine.

From what I've read, Belgian Trippels are usually much dryer ... and may use 15%-20% sugar for such. Your FG should be lower.

The style should really be about the fermentation control, and the grain bills are usual very simple and light on 'charcter grains'... maybe 5%.

Of course, if you are going off the brewer's ingredient list, in order to clone it, then follow his lead. I'd just think about your FG and try to keep it dry, and control your fermentation temps well! (e.g. start low-mid 60's, and let it slow raise over a week to 70-F)

But, I am a n00b Belgian brewer... Follow your gut!

Good luck! I'm brewing mine at the end fo the month!
--LexusChris

Yeah Hopville doesn't take mash temp into account. So far every beer I have mashed at 149-150 has finished about 5 points below the target that Hopville gives me. I'm going to try it without sugar first, then if it's too sweet I'll tweak my recipe. And thanks for the fermentation temp advice.

haven't brewed it yet, i was waiting on my pilsner malt from a group buy and then had a baby so i'm about a month and a half without brewing :(

Latest posts

Back