What makes a pilsner a pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
So Ive been getting questions at work about brewing from the guys at the break table. I took care of differences between lagers and ales, but theyre asking about what what makes a pilsner different.

I wasnt real sure so I told them Id find out. Whats the difference from an ale, to a pilsner?

Please enlighten me so i can enlighten them.

Thanks

Tophe96 said:
So Ive been getting questions at work about brewing from the guys at the break table. I took care of differences between lagers and ales, but theyre asking about what what makes a pilsner different.

I wasnt real sure so I told them Id find out. Whats the difference from an ale, to a pilsner?

Thanks

Here ya go!
Pilsener or pilsner is a type of beer, developed in the city of Plzeň (Pilsen in German), Bohemia (now Czech Republic). It is generally distinguished from other lagers by a more prominent hop character, particularly from the use of Saaz (pronounced "zot-za") noble hops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsner

Tophe96 said:

Thanks

Pilsner = a light lager with fairly high hops bitterness, very pale color, and a fairly dry finish (no crystal malts).

The style is that way because that is what the very soft water of Pilsen is best suited to.

Let me steal this thread for a second. If it's really just about hop levels, what's the difference between say a pilsner malt vs. an american two-row? For instance, what would the perceivable difference be, all else equal, between an all pilsner malt vs. all 2-row batch?

Bobby_M said:
Let me steal this thread for a second. If it's really just about hop levels, what's the difference between say a pilsner malt vs. an american two-row? For instance, what would the perceivable difference be, all else equal, between an all pilsner malt vs. all 2-row batch?

Let's add to the confusion and hope for some good answers.

My understanding of most light American lagers, which are designed to be basically pilsner-type beers, is that they usually use 6-row. While I believe the primary motivation for this is cost savings (better efficiency, plus more enzymes to help convert corn / rice), how else does the use of 6-row impact the beer's profile?

Bobby_M said:

My understanding is that the 2-row is somewhat darker in color than Pilsner malt, and gives a grainier flavor.

Of course, both of these things are solved in BMC by the high level of non-malt adjuncts.

I actually have about 35lbs of two-row left and 6 pounds of pilsner. I want to make a nice lawnmower brew, maybe even a 10 gallon batch, before my garage eeks up into the higher 50's. Anyone do a half and half 2-row/pils lager?

I'm sure it'd be fine.

Look at it this way: in a beer with crystal malts and other character malts, you're largely concealing the subtle flavor elements of the base malt. Whereas in a Pilsner, the subtle flavor elements of the base malt will come through more.

It's like making a cocktail with super-premium liquor. You can do it, and the cocktail will be excellent. But if the cocktail has strong flavors in it, like pineapple and coconut or whatever, then it'll probably taste almost exactly the same with a cheaper liquor (as long as it's not rotgut or something.)

Ray Daniel's Designing Great Beers has a good chapter about Pilsners, I actually just reread that chapter a few days ago. I recommend picking it up or borrowing from the library. I find it to be enjoyable, especially part 2 of the book where it breaks down different styles and gives a nice history lesson about each style.

From my memory, here's how the author of Designing Great Beers described pilsener malt...

Pilsener malt is green malt. It is not completely kiln dried. It's kilning temperature never exceeds 120F degrees (I think that's the temp he stated in the book). As a result, only about 90% of the water is kilned off from the malt. This leaves it somewhat susceptible to rot and is the reason why the larger pilsener brewers often have a malting system on premises. The extra low-temp kilning process prevents pilsener malt from obtaining much color as is common with other malts. This is why pilsener is the lightest of all malted barleys.

i think in order for it to be a true pilsner, it has to be brewed in Plzeň ;)

the daniels book is an excellent work, i'd second picking it up.

uglygoat said:
i think in order for it to be a true pilsner, it has to be brewed in Plzeň ;)

the daniels book is an excellent work, i'd second picking it up.

Right on. I'm fixin to brew a Jersiner which is a very light, moderately hopped lager brewed in the toxic atmosphere of central NJ.

Yeah keep in mind those beers (both the German and Bohemian) are all about simplicity. Every aspect is naked. To make one is easy. To make one that is exceptional requires tremendous attention to process detail and keeping it really simple.

zoebisch01 said:
Yeah keep in mind those beers (both the German and Bohemian) are all about simplicity. Every aspect is naked. To make one is easy. To make one that is exceptional requires tremendous attention to process detail and keeping it really simple.

As we've discussed before, this is where you've got to hand it to the BMC guys--their quality control is amazing. They brew a product with little color, little bitterness, and little flavore in general--that's an extremely "naked" beer, to use your phrase: no margin for error at all.

Back