Yeast in commercial tap beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
OK, when I took a class on brewing and wine in the 1970s, I learned that commercial tap beer is not pasturized and contains living yeast. I thought I remember this becasue it was stated that this is the reason tap beer (commercial tap beers) must be kept refrigerated at all times.

Later I learned that commercial beers are often filtered.

Is this true? If I condition by home brew in a Corny at room temp, why can't commercial beer in kegs be stored at room temp?

Commercial beer -, for example, Becks beer, Bud beer, sold by the brewers in kegs which are used by them as tap beer in resturants and pubs.

Bud will be filtered and likely pasteurized. The reason I asked is that there are a lot of commercial beers from craft brewers that are neither filtered nor pasteurized.

So if I buy a 1/2 keg of Bud beer from a beer distributor, I can assume it has been pasturized and, therefore, I can store for a few weeks it at room temp? Will the beer distributor know which beer is pasturized and which is not?

Back