Old Fridge, won't get cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djanvk

Reaction score
I have this old fridge in my basement that came with my house, it used to get cold and now it doesn't but it runs. Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this to use as a lagering or kegging cooler?

Thanks.

It's either (1) low on freon (has a leak) or (2) the compressor valves are weak. Either way, the best (read: cost effective) route is to find a deal on craigslist or buy a new fridge.

Personally, I don't like buying stuff of craigslist so I'll gladly spend the time to find a scratched/dented new appliance at a discount.

A fridge that doesn't get cold, is old, came with the place, and still runs. Sounds like an energy waster that deserves a trip to the dump.

Check out Freecycle on the net you may find a good used one free

Craiglist is a good 2nd place

Don't waste any money fixing or trying to fix an old fridge

+1 Throw it out. Even if you did get it running, you would most likely waste tons of money on electricity.

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. WRONG! The correct answer is get a new temp controller and see if it is a bad thermostat. If it doesnt work with the new temp controller then it wont be worth it to fix it so you get a cheap CL fridge.

NOOBS!

Back