A couple of specific gravity questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
Can you take an accurate SG reading of a carbonated beer? Would the dissolved CO2 effect the reading?

How do you approximate the alcohol content of a fruit beer if you are using whole fruit in the secondary?

Thanks

- magno

I've often wondered about the first question myself, and I have to believe it would result in a false reading to the low side. I would say that the sample should be shaken vigorously to release all of the CO2 before taking the reading.

People definitely don't float as well in aerated water as they do in 'hard' water, so I imagine a hydrometer in carbonated beer would behave the same way.

As far as the fruit question, I've kindof wondered that myself. I'm starting formulate a raspberry ale recipe. I don't really care about ABV except that this is mostly for the wives (no, I don't have two--A friend and I are going to brew it together), and I know niether of them wants a "big beer."

I've been thinking of designing a recipe that would be in the high 30's without the fruit (like an English mild, maybe). But that's just a WAG.

If an ale is carbonated, de-carbonate it by pouring back and forth until it stops fizzing.

Grapes are the champs at 20%, most berries are around 12-15%, apples and pears are about 3-4% (juices about double that). Last year was a killer for blackberries here, my Revenge cider (50% blackberries) came out at over 9% ABV. I added the berries to the primary.

OK, I will ask this here.

if my chilled wort had a sg of 10.44 and I kegged it at 10.06.

What is the ABV?

I know there is a formula I just dont know it.

Cheers,

knewshound

knewshound said:
OK, I will ask this here.

if my chilled wort had a sg of 10.44 and I kegged it at 10.06.

What is the ABV?

I know there is a formula I just dont know it.

Cheers,

knewshound
i believe you mean 1.044 and 1.006...

1.044-1.006 = .038

.038 *131 = 4.978% ABV...

WOW

5% is stunning.

My extraction must have been great.

I was looking for under 5% ABV so that is perfect.

It was a "Steam Pils" sort of Lager sort of semi-Mexican sort of deal.

With temps in the 90's already and 100's lurking not far behind, I prefer the lower alcohol varieties that I can drink many of.

Any recipe suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

knewshound

Back