My newest challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillHayze

Reaction score
The following is a Leffe Brun clone recipe I found online. It will be my next challenge, and most expensive to date. I'm only going to make a 5 gal batch and let it take it's time aging - hope to have it in late summer/fall. My only question is this: what exactly is the "390 ppg for grains" ingredient? Feel free to hack away at the recipe as well.

9.5 lbs. Belgian Pils malt
1/2 lb. flaked wheat
1/4 lb. flaked barley
1/4 lb. aromatic
1/4 lb. biscuit
1/4 lb. chocolate
1/8 lb. honey malt
1/4 lb. munich malt
390 ppg for grains
1/2 lb. dark candi sugar
2 oz. malto dextrine
1 oz. Pride of ringwood hops
1/2 oz. Styrian Golding after 45 min.
OG for 5.5 Gallons: 1.070
Week long primary fermentation, then racked to two week secondary
primed with 1-1/8 cup dark DME
FG comes out to: 1.015

i think it means you are supposed to get about 39 gravity points per gallon from your grains. (1.039 gravity) Not an ingredient, but a summary of contribution of the ingredients above it.

This is a guess... let the AG folks chime in.

-walker

That would be my guess as well.

edit: I ment to ask, is the 390 a typo? As Walker points out, 39 ppg would be 1.039 SG contributed by the grains. Unless it's saying 390 total points contributed, not 390 points per gallon. 390 points / 5.5 gallons = 1.0709 SG :confused:

mezman said:
Leffe Brun huh? Is that similar to the Leffe Donker?

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure. I think the donker is a pale ale, but I could be wrong. Leffe blonde is more popular in the states but the brun is very different, IIRC. A friend recommended the brun but I cant seem to find any locally. This guy toured the world and I guess Leffe Brun is his favorite brew (must be good as we have similar tasts in beer), so I'm going to run the recipe by him and see if he thinks it sounds reasonable. He's not a HB'er but we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the input guys!

Back