American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I'm jumping on the bandwagon too. Sad thing is I can only do the mini mash. But if this recipe is as good as everyone says (280 + replys) it must be great.

Has anyone tried the mini version yet? I'm just wanna know what to expect.
Thanks Ed! :mug:

After moving the bottles to a warmer part of the house, they have finally started to carb up.
Tastes decent, a slightly high fermentation temp and high alcohol percentage have left a slight alcohol aftertaste, but I am confident that some time will minimize that.
Either way, its drinkable (and its strong) so cheers :mug:

Im going to brew this one when I get back- Have a Wedding to brew for Back may 10th and The wedding is 24 or whatever Laborday is.

But Im gonna use sterling hops.

I was teaching a friend to brew about 6 weeks ago and we did a couple extracts and had the time so I wanted to show him how to AG & I had been wanting to try this recipe. I was a little short on the Vienna so I came up with this:

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (Rahr 2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
1 lbs Crystal 15 German (15.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
8.0 oz CaraFoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.00 oz Cascade Pellet 6.9% [6.90 %] (60 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet 4.2% [4.20 %] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet 4.2% [4.20 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand) Yeast-Ale

It sat in the primary for 31 days @ 72º (I was planning on 21 days but got busy) I then racked it to a corny and left it in the 50º garage for 2 weeks and then into the kegerator it went.

It turned out great, it looks to be the same color as Ed's but the head is a little darker. So far everyone from the BMC guys to the beer snobs have liked it.

This seems to be a super forgiving recipe, my ferment temps were higher than usual and it spent a little bit too much time in the primary but still turned out great.
This may be my new house beer. Thanks Ed!

MikeFlynn74 said:
Im going to brew this one when I get back- Have a Wedding to brew for Back may 10th and The wedding is 24 or whatever Laborday is.

But Im gonna use sterling hops.

Can't you get some Cascade?

the all-Centennial version turned out pretty good! (except for some chill haze)

MikeFlynn74 said:
Probably- but I have a ton of Sterling.

Think its a bad idea?

Yeah, it's a bad idea if you want BCB Haus. :D It's a very different hop and it will make a different beer. Try it first with cascade, then try it with Sterling.

I just kegged my second batch of this stuff today. I made it back in the middle of January, let it ferment out, and then tossed the carboy in the beer fridge for about 6 weeks. IT IS AWESOME...

Clean, light, easy drinking... YUM.

todd_k said:
the all-Centennial version turned out pretty good! (except for some chill haze)

Centennial is pretty hard to find these days. Did you use the same amounts? if so, what were the AA%'s?

MikeFlynn74 said:
Ed-

Brewing on the 12th for tap day of the 24-5th.

Primary/Keg schedule?

Mike,

Nottingham is a fast ferment and it's done in a couple days. You can ferment it a week (I do 10 days), then crash cool for a couple days before kegging & carbing.

You will be drinking a pretty green (but tasty) beer. You can ferment for 6 days, then check for F.G. and if it is finished, crash cool for a day, then rack to a keg and put on gas at 12 psi. It should be nicely carbed by the 24th.

Brought this to Easter dinner, it was a big hit.

Thanks Ed.

I followed your recipe exactly except for the yeast my LHBS doesn't carry Nottingham so he substituted S-04.

beerbuddy said:
Brought this to Easter dinner, it was a big hit.

Thanks Ed.

I followed your recipe exactly except for the yeast my LHBS doesn't carry Nottingham so he substituted S-04.

It's amazing how many LHBS do not carry Nottingham. They are losing out. I buy 4-6 packs at a time and keep it on hand all the time. It's a great yeast and works great if you get a stuck fermentation.

I made 10 gallons yesterday and poured it on dry with no aeration (other than the pouring from the kettle to the bucket) and the lag time was about 5 hours.

EdWort said:
It's amazing how many LHBS do not carry Nottingham. They are losing out. I buy 4-6 packs at a time and keep it on hand all the time. It's a great yeast and works great if you get a stuck fermentation.

I made 10 gallons yesterday and poured it on dry with no aeration (other than the pouring from the kettle to the bucket) and the lag time was about 5 hours.
I did that too. But did not see any airlock activity until about 48 hours. I thought it was going t be vigrous. It's now bubbling but only about every 20 seconds. I'm not worried though. This was easy (only my seconed batch) and very easy on the wallet thanks ED.

i just put mine in primary yesterday this will be my second time making this wonderful beer everyone loves it :). I went to check the airlock today and it had no water in it hahahahah thing thing is going crazy bubbling steady. last time i used windsor ale yeast this time im using safal my local brewshop says he used to use nottingham but finds the safal to be better we'll see.

I just made this today for my first AG.... It went pretty good after I got back from the hospital...Stepped on a rusty nail before brewing and had to get a tetnis shot.... Used all my new gear, new coleman extreme mash tun with steel braid, 1/2" 50' wort chiller, new keggle...it was pretty sweet....And my OG was 1.054 so I think my efficiency was pretty good....thanks ed... Hope it tastes good :)

Wish it was my recipe, I would call it "Rusty Nail Pale Ale"

Anyone ever FWH this with good results? Doing first AG today, and I've only heard good things about FWH, but not sure if it's appropriate here.

EdWort said:
I've never tried it with this recipe, or any other one yet.

Ed, I gotta say, it's fantastic. I don't do it in every beer, but I do it wherever I'm looking for a good hops presence. Unless you need to boil down a lot of volume, it's great. In terms of taste, my uneducated palate would guess its equivalent to a 20 minute hop addition, but of course with the full bitterness of a 60 minute addition. Especially in these times of shortage, it's a great thing to play around with... especially for lower-gravity beers that will finish faster and bring more of the flavor/aroma into the finished product without the long secondary.

InkPouchMan said:
Anyone ever FWH this with good results? Doing first AG today, and I've only heard good things about FWH, but not sure if it's appropriate here.
I've only ever FWHed this. It was great.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Ed, I gotta say, it's fantastic. I don't do it in every beer, but I do it wherever I'm looking for a good hops presence...

It's normal practice for me now. I FWH all my bittering hops. I've noticed that the early back-of-the-throat bite is not there any more. Hence...no more waiting for the beer to mellow to drinkability.

I built a MLT from a 5 gallon cooler this weekend in preperation to do a PM and while looking for recipes I found this one. At this point I think I am glad I used a 5 gallon cooler because I am just going to go ahead and go AG for the first time.

Thanks for converting me to the darkside so early in my brewing career Ed. :mug:

InkPouchMan said:
Wow, it only took about 40 hours from pitching time to ferment! Airlock activity stopped, gravity 1.011. Incredible.

That's OK. Nottingham ferments out fast. Let sit for 10 days before you crash cool for a couple days before kegging or bottling. Those yeasties will clean up after themselves and then settle down.

EdWort said:
That's OK. Nottingham ferments out fast. Let sit for 10 days before you crash cool for a couple days before kegging or bottling. Those yeasties will clean up after themselves and then settle down.

Waaaa? thought you were retiring and Cheese was taking your Mod spot?

Zombie Jesus Ed has risen from the dead!

blacklab said:
First wort hopping. Throw your bittering addition in the boil pot as you sparge to it. Works great!

How will that change anything...won't any flavor or aroma be eliminated with the boil? Also, it won't add bitternes, right, since you are not boiling it? So I guess I am confused as to how this would change the character of the beer.

nl724 said:
How will that change anything...won't any flavor or aroma be eliminated with the boil? Also, it won't add bitternes, right, since you are not boiling it? So I guess I am confused as to how this would change the character of the beer.
It's a weird one alright. It will add bitterness, as the hops will remain in the wort through the boil - so it actually adds slightly more bitterness than a standard 60 minute addition (according to BeerSmith, anyway). But for some reason I don't fully understand, it's a more mellow bitterness than a 60 minute addition. I'm not sure about what contribution it makes to flavor and aroma. But the beers I've first-wort hopped have all been good ones.

nl724 said:

The hops are not instantly boiled, as with a typical 60 minute addition. They are steeped, both while you sparge and while you bring the wort to a rolling boil, which adds a different flavor profile to the wort.

I don't know the science behind it, but it makes a nice beer. I'm sure one of the other guys has the details.

so this is going to be my first AG try. when you say 2-row. any 2-row? which did you use when brewing yours? i would really like this to turn out since it will be my first batch in quite a while

The recipe calls for 2-Row Pale, but you can use 2-Row Pils if you need to. Be sure to use a 90 minute boil if you use pils so you reduce DMS.

I made an 11 gallon AG batch of this stuff last weekend. The only difference was my homebrew store doesn't carry Nottingham yeast, so I asked them for a good substitute. They recommended Safale S-04 which I used. After searching this thread, it appears that I should have used Safale US-05 instead. Now I'm wondering how this double batch will turn out. I suppose its an English ale now instead of an American ale, but will this still be a good tasting beer? I'm new to AG (only my second batch). Thanks.

Back