Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
22# of pork loin going on in the morning. I just have the Brinkman Electric smoker with no control, just plug it in so this is a first for me. Done a LOT of chicken and some fish and veggies but never anything this thick. Going to get it all rubbed up in a little bit and wrap it up and set it in the fridge overnight.
Using pecan wood from my own tree.

It's my birthday tomorrow! So why not smoke some meat and drink some home brew this Saturday in Texas!!!! I've got two pork shoulders, six huge baby backs, brats, chicken breast, a few stuffed quail with jalapeños! Also a simcoe ipa dry hopped with cascade! All grain biab! Turned out great! Ended up with 4 gallons, 1 gallon of trub! Your all welcome to come over! July 20, 2013!!! 364 west acres rd. Whitesboro, Texas 76273 at 6:00 pm.

Late night smoke session on the egg - chicken thighs and drum sticks overe mesquite. Heady Topper in the glass

image.jpg

Going to try my hand at homemade Polska kielbasa. My plan is to make the links, but keep them together. I got some 100% stainless steel s-hooks, and I'll hang them from the underside of the top grate in my WSM and hang the links from that. I'll give 'em a long low-temp smoke for 4-5 hours and see what we've got.

While the WSM is hot, I think I'll throw a chicken or two in there because, on a hot friggin day, cold leftover smoked chicken is 10 different kinds of awesome. (Seriously - mix cold smoked chicken into a spinach salad with that German-style hot bacon dressing. Amazing on a hot summer day.)

Has anybody tried smoking tomatoes? I have tons and I want to make a chili base and can it.

Has anybody tried smoking tomatoes? I have tons and I want to make a chili base and can it.

I did last year. Smoked them and then pureed them for a tomato soup. Decided it would make a better base for chili, but never made the chili. Still have it in the freezer.

Smoked a small brisket yesterday and threw in some brats for lunch while we were waiting. Ended up making a brisket omelette this morning with some of the leftovers.

the roast was high heat smoke roasted with cherry wood and charcoal. nutshell.... we put the meat (rubbed with onion powder, salt, pepper, and ground chipolte) on thick slices of onions in a foil pan added IPA to the pan just up to the bottom of the roast. the outside was nice and crusty and the inside was juicy and flavorful.

Packed the WSM and all my toys up to take it up north to some friends' cabin. Our hosts are bringing a ham from a pig they bought, and we'll throw that on the WSM with apple wood smoke tomorrow or Saturday. (We smoked the other ham back May and it was AWESOME! Perfectly cured - not too salty, not "hammy" at all, perfect texture)

hey we just picked up a big eye of round roast yesterday. any tips?

Eye of round is pretty tasty but very lean. Dust it with mix of 80% garlic salt, 10% black pepper, and 10% onion powder. 2 tasty cooking options.

1. after rubbing stick on smoker @ 250 is until it hits 135-140, let rest 15-30 minutes depending on size then slice thin on the bias and serve on a nice onion roll with some horseradish sauce.
2. Wrap it in bacon and cook till it hits 155. Slice thin and serve with sauce of choice.

I am smoking 25lbs of pork butt and 10lbs of Italian sausage tomorrow for a family gathering.

Found these in the clearance rack this afternoon -- country style pork ribs. Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic, brown sugar. smoked 2.5 hours.

2013-07-27211646.jpg

Got 2 racks of baby backs smoking, will move to the oven, then finish on the charcoal with some Bratwursts.

Have you ever tried smoking the brats? I did it a couple of weeks ago and they were great. They dont take too long either.

I smoked a couple chicken breasts this morning to take to work and threw a couple hot dogs on for lunch and the hot dogs turned out awesome so I'm sure brats would be amazing

currently looking through the local ads to see what I feel like throwing it he smoker today. It's a beautiful 74 degree day here in CT. Great opportunity to get some hickory smoke in the air and enjoy some beer!

ForumRunner_20130810_173708.jpg

Debuting the new smoker. Got a rack of baby backs and a chicken in there on applewood. Excited for dinner.

So after reading this thread for some time, I will finally be smoking, for the first time, a Boston Butt. I'm am going to use a basic rub and was wondering which wood would be better for a basic rub. I have access to Hickory and Mesquite and wanted to try one of those before branching out.

Thanks for the suggestions

Back