Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TCGoose said:
How's the flavor of belle saison? Funky? Spicy? Fruity?

Mine came out peppery, I didn't add the pepper as the recipe called for, but the yeast gave it peppery notes. (The judges said that is one of the reasons they liked it, the pepper was from the yeast and not purposely added which they said is more desirable)

orangemen5 said:
I'm making this with the belle saison yeast also. Fermenting at 90-95. Samples taste awesome. Wondering what your FG ended up at. My OG was 1.065 down to 1.009 after a week. Hoping it goes lower as it tasted a little sweet.

I ended up right at 1.010
You will love the Belle yeast!

Just moved this to secondary today. Well it's not exactly like the original recipe but this was the inspiratation.

0.75 oz Sorachi Ace [11.50 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 18.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 6 7.3 IBUs
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 4.8 IBUs
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 3.1 IBUs
1 oz Ginger Root (Boil 5.0 mins) Herb 9 -
3.00 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 10 -
1 oz Orange Peel, Fresh (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 11 -
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop

I dry hopped it with .5 Halletau when move it to secondary. Smelled a bit too much of pepper but I am sure it will subside in time. Also had a slight sour finish. very dry.

OG 1.050+ Secondary Gravity almost 1.000 and when I moved in in secondary it picked up again. Primary was fermenting 12 days at 64-65.

Did split my batch in 2 half with 3711 and half with Westmalle trippel yeast.
These yeasts might eat my carboys, they seem mean!

Forgot to post here. Finally had mine last weekend. One major problem I found out after tasting it...I didn't make enough! Wow this is one great beer. My favorite home brew I've made to date.

IMG_2171.jpg

Mashing away right now! Io didn't have all fuggles, so I am subbing a little Willamette. Also using WLP 565 this time, instead of wy3711 that I used last time.

Brewed this Friday and pitched rehydrated Belle Saison at 68 degrees. Forty eight hours later the temp had risen to 81 degrees and air lock activity was slowing. I set my chamber for 80 degrees today and will keep it there for another 10 days or so. I skipped the pepper and swapped Saaz for the Fuggles FWH addition.

Thanks to the OP for the recipe.

I brewed this up on Saturday also. Made a more sessionable version, OG 1.050. Galena for bittering, hallertau for the rest. Pitched the dregs of boulevard saison Brett into one gallon of the batch. Used belle saison as well, crankin along at 75-77 F. Thinking about racking the one with Brett onto some plums from the backyard. Thoughts?

My efficiency was a 'little' high and I ended up with an 8.4% brew. Tastes great, but holy moly does it pack a punch! Next time I'll be toning down the grain bill.

I brewed this up on Saturday also. Made a more sessionable version, OG 1.050. Galena for bittering, hallertau for the rest. Pitched the dregs of boulevard saison Brett into one gallon of the batch. Used belle saison as well, crankin along at 75-77 F. Thinking about racking the one with Brett onto some plums from the backyard. Thoughts?

Do it! That's what a farmhouse ale is all about, using what's at hand, have plums you say? Then cut em off the pit , smash a bit and let it rip!

Here is my partial mash interpretation of this recipe. I'm not sure what ABV to expect. Wyeast 3711's attenuation is supposedly around 80%, but people seem to be getting their FG down to less than 1.005. What type of FG should I expect? I will use a heated blanket to get the temp of the fermentor up. I don't really want a beer higher than 6.5% abv. I was hoping for something around 6%. Also, should I secondary? I had to get red wheat because AHS is currently out of white wheat.

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Efficiency: 67% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.85%
IBU (tinseth): 30.47
SRM (morey): 5.8

MASH:
2 lb - Belgian - Pilsner
1 lb - German - Red Wheat
1 lb - German - Flaked Spelt
8 oz - German - CaraMunich

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light - (late addition)
1 lb - Honey - (primary)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Crystal for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Crystal for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Nelson Sauvin for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 6.5 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - Black Pepper, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - French Saison 3711

I've got a load of Nelson sitting in the freezer...

Curious how your's came out with Nelly

I'm leaning toward Nelson & Nugget for my first bash at this recipe.

azscoob said:
Do it! That's what a farmhouse ale is all about, using what's at hand, have plums you say? Then cut em off the pit , smash a bit and let it rip!

Ha! I'm convinced! Any need to sanitize the plums first? Or will the alcohol take care of the wild bugs. I'd prefer to stick with Brett as the only "wild" bug.

TCGoose said:
Ha! I'm convinced! Any need to sanitize the plums first? Or will the alcohol take care of the wild bugs. I'd prefer to stick with Brett as the only "wild" bug.

I did this with some Shiro Plums off a tree out of my yard. I'd recommend just squeezing the juice out of the plums. The skins are really tart and bitter it ruined the first batch I attempted. But the second attempt with the squeezed juices was awesome. To sanitize I just froze the juice for a couple days before use. A buddy of mine who is a pro brewer with his own brewery will simmer his juices at 180 degrees for a few minutes.

I plan on brewing this next week and I have a quick question. I notice that people are fermenting this very warm with the 3711. Wyeast's website says that the temp range is 65-77, and the OP suggests 68. Is it O.K. to ferment this warmer then suggested, and if so is it a controlled temp or free rise? Thanks for the help, this is my first saison.

I plan on brewing this next week and I have a quick question. I notice that people are fermenting this very warm with the 3711. Wyeast's website says that the temp range is 65-77, and the OP suggests 68. Is it O.K. to ferment this warmer then suggested, and if so is it a controlled temp or free rise? Thanks for the help, this is my first saison.

You can let it Free rise, the beauty of a saison is the ease of summer brewing, the yeast is quite forgiving of warmer fermentation temps.

Thanks for your help.... I'll keep you posted on how it turns out for me.

drinking this right now. didn't have caramunich so I used 1/4 lb each C60 and Special B. Used Centennial and Saaz to bitter and Saaz for late additions. I love it. Used Belle Saison and got to 1.003. I'll definitely brew this again. The only thing I might change is to try to give it a little more body. Mine seemed just a tad thin, but still delicious. I did leave out the honey. That could be it I guess. Thanks for the recipe!

drinking this right now. didn't have caramunich so I used 1/4 lb each C60 and Special B. Used Centennial and Saaz to bitter and Saaz for late additions. I love it. Used Belle Saison and got to 1.003. I'll definitely brew this again. The only thing I might change is to try to give it a little more body. Mine seemed just a tad thin, but still delicious. I did leave out the honey. That could be it I guess. Thanks for the recipe!

What did you carb it to? Higher carb levels balance out the dryness of this style, under carbed and it can feel thin.

What did you carb it to? Higher carb levels balance out the dryness of this style, under carbed and it can feel thin.

I'm not sure. I kegged it and burst carbed in the fridge at 30psi for a day, 20psi for two days, then down to serving pressure which I have at about 12psi. It's got a nice creamy head. I wonder if the honey may have given it that little extra flavor I'm looking for. I'll be sure to put it in next time I brew it.

So how I am suppose to keg carbonate this?

The style recommends 3.2 but how do I active that?

I kegged it, cool it to 42 for 1 day. After 1st day I applied 20psi to it. I have seen the carbonation chart but it doesn't specify how long.

The method of applying higher carbonation upfront seems totally random. Any thoughts?

I am currently brewing this. I am going to pitch it on to a 3711 yeast cake from last weekend's brew which was a lighter Saison (OG 1.048). I just transferred last weekends to the secondary.

Has anyone pitched this onto a previous used cake?

This is a great yeast. My Saison from last week reached 1.001 by Thursday after 4 days in the carboy.

Brewed a batch recently. .. gonna put a gallon of it on brett b if there's any sugar left in it!

I am currently brewing this. I am going to pitch it on to a 3711 yeast cake from last weekend's brew which was a lighter Saison (OG 1.048). I just transferred last weekends to the secondary.

Has anyone pitched this onto a previous used cake?

This is a great yeast. My Saison from last week reached 1.001 by Thursday after 4 days in the carboy.

24 hours in and this is fermenting vigorously. Visible fermentation started in about 4 hours. I may have to brew another 5 gallon batch next weekend and drop it on the yeast cake.

The attached picture is 8 hours after pitching.

3711.jpg

Hmmm... I just checked SG, 1.003. If I transfer into a one gallon vessel, and pitch brett b., will it still have sugars?? It seems so low, I dont know if the brett will have much of an impact.

I'm about halfway through my keg of this brew. I made it with Centennial to bitter, Citra late in the kettle as well as an ounce to dry hop for a week. Lovely brew. Definite repeat. I'm glad I didn't use a lot of Citra because that stuff is strong. It's there, but in the background. I would make it with Citra again though. But I'm thinking of trying Cascade and hopping almost to IPA levels, other than the bittering charge.

I did use some WestMalle yeast(harvested). I pitched WM yeast in a 5 gal 3711 in the other 5 gal. Ended up with 1.001/1.002 but the OG was 1.050 due to most likely the grain crush.

I did use some WestMalle yeast(harvested). I pitched WM yeast in a 5 gal 3711 in the other 5 gal. Ended up with 1.001/1.002 but the OG was 1.050 due to most likely the grain crush.

Do you crush your own or have it done at the LHBS/online retailer?

BTW - why is that I don't have that saison taste ? It's good, peppery but doesn't remind me of a saison. I fermented it around 64-68F for 2+2 weeks(1st&2nd)

theQ said:
BTW - why is that I don't have that saison taste ? It's good, peppery but doesn't remind me of a saison. I fermented it around 64-68F for 2+2 weeks(1st&2nd)

What saisons are you compairing it to?
Perhaps post your process and the exact recipe you followed?

This may help with diagnosis.

I did let my local store crush them for that batch but since that batch I got a cereal killer and the last batch (strong blonde) did turn out just fine (1.072)

Here's what I did - changed up a bit

Just moved this to secondary today. Well it's not exactly like the original recipe but this was the inspiration.

0.75 oz Sorachi Ace [11.50 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 18.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 6 7.3 IBUs
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 4.8 IBUs
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 3.1 IBUs
1 oz Ginger Root (Boil 5.0 mins) Herb 9 -
3.00 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 10 -
1 oz Orange Peel, Fresh (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 11 -
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop

I dry hopped it with .5 Halletau when move it to secondary. Smelled a bit too much of pepper but I am sure it will subside in time. Also had a slight sour finish. very dry.

OG 1.050+ Secondary Gravity almost 1.000 and when I moved in in secondary it picked up again. Primary was fermenting 12 days at 64-65.

Did split my batch in 2 half with 3711 and half with Westmalle trippel yeast.
These yeasts might eat my carboys, they seem mean!

What saisons are you compairing it to?
Perhaps post your process and the exact recipe you followed?

This may help with diagnosis.

I don't have the time to read through the thread to see if this is answered, but I was wondering what keeping the temperature at 70 degrees F would do to this beer? I don't have the ability to start lower, and I don't have good control on raising the temperature. If anyone could let me know it would be much appreaciated!
Thanks,
Chad

What yeast? I think wy3711 or wl 566 or the dry belle saison would be perfect at that temp. But wy3724 and wl565 need to be a lot warmer, like 80-95. I recently used 3724 and it took 6 weeks at 90+ to finish off my saison.

I don't have the time to read through the thread to see if this is answered, but I was wondering what keeping the temperature at 70 degrees F would do to this beer? I don't have the ability to start lower, and I don't have good control on raising the temperature. If anyone could let me know it would be much appreaciated!
Thanks,
Chad

+1 on the Belle Saison. I used it for this recipe and kept it about a steady 70ish in my closet. Came out excellent. The ester profile was mild, but very smooth. FG was 1.003 after about a week.

I used the belle saison yeast also. Fermented at 90-95. OG 1.065. FG 1.009. Didn't finish as low as I was expecting. Maybe due to high ferment temps.
But the flavor profile is excellent. Very balanced. Exactly what I was looking for.

Brewed this last Friday. Started at 1.054. Used a big starter, kept temps in the low at the start, then up to low to mid 70's. checked gravity yesterday, and it was at 1.002. Tastes great so far! I added some coriander and bitter orange to give it a bit of extra flavor. I used WLP568. No stall, just the craziest smelling beer farts ever. I'm going to let it finish up for another week or so. My question would be, do you cold crash a saison? I would think the style suggests a cloudy beer.

Put one of these down last night.
Used NZ Manuka honey, Nelson Sauvin instead of Sorachi Ace, no oats, and put in some honey malt.
Will see how it goes. :mug:

Put one of these down last night.
Used NZ Manuka honey, Nelson Sauvin instead of Sorachi Ace, no oats, and put in some honey malt.
Will see how it goes. :mug:

I brewed two batches of this last year, one with nelson. I didnt like it honestly, the 'sauvin' character of the hop didnt balance the beer very well. I felt it had a sweetness that didnt fit, but it was still overall enjoyable. I used Citra for the other batch and enjoyed it much more. Definitely curious to see how yours comes out, let me know what you think!

I brewed two batches of this last year, one with nelson. I didnt like it honestly, the 'sauvin' character of the hop didnt balance the beer very well. I felt it had a sweetness that didnt fit, but it was still overall enjoyable. I used Citra for the other batch and enjoyed it much more. Definitely curious to see how yours comes out, let me know what you think!

Yeah I went easy on the NS, just one FWH addition.

8 wired do a great Sauvin Saison....
http://8wired.co.nz/our-brews/saison-sauvin-0

Just tapped this year's batch of this. Just as good as I remember. Last year's on left. This year's on right.

image-1443422160.jpg

Latest posts

Back