Honeydew Melon Wine And Whats Your Craziest Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you reackon It'll do

• Brew sucessfully and taste Good

• Brew sucessfully and taste Awful

• Not Brew At all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stocky_S

Reaction score
No i haven't gone clinically insane (yet anyway).
I was sitting down looking at brew related googlestuffs, and decided i wanted to make a neutral-ish flavored alcohol.
Soooo looking around home all i could come across was a melon, so i boiled it, mashed it added 500g of sugar, let it cool to 36C and pitched Alison bread yeast (my favorite even over brewing yeast for both flavour and reliability).
now I'm just waiting for it to take then i'll top it up to 1 gal.

Anyways i thought I'd post on here for 2 reasons:
Firstly: to poll above on how you guys think it'll turn out
and
Secondly: to ask what the weirdest brew you guys have done is

Thanks
Stocky_s

I successfully made a Jalapeno/Cucumber mead. I'm definitely going to make a bigger batch of this soon because the small amount i have will not last for long. You can taste the refreshing cucumber and a sweet jalapeno with no heat. Both shine through and life is good

!!!!! Chemist, please post that recipe! That sounds rather (insanely) awesome.

That sounds amazing chemist, especially to someone who loves chillies.

As for an update, there definite fermentation and its bubbling fairly well, i forgot to take S.G but luckily i own a Alchometer so will get a rough % from that when its finished, i'm reckoning a 5-6%.

anyone else with crazy brews?

Thanks
Stocky_s

Ive gota gallon of rubarb wine on the go ... Not been brewing long so thats the most extreme ive tried

My mum got me 1.5kg of rubarb to try some ... Got it mushed and strained after a 24hr soak and its passed the 1st stage ... Racked it once now and its a nice pale pink colour ... Had a little taste and altho its abit sweet at the moment its very tastey compared to the "kits" ive done ... Think its worked out about £3 for the galon so i cant argue at all ... Still needs another couple of racks and needs degassed but i can begin to see about a 1cm area ontop of clear pinkish wine

And after only starting it off my mum came in with a further 7kg of rubarb "since i like rubarb wine" ???? I hadnt even tried it yet but cant knock free supplies

If it turns out anygood ill use the rest and maybe pass out some bottles among friends for £2 per bottle lol (since everyone i tell about my wine making ask to buy some)

I have a batch of mango/chili mead about to bottle and mango/chili wine fermenting too. I used California red chilies and Arbol chilies. The must tastes great in both. Definitely doing these batches again.

I have some Hibiscus Flower/Pomaberry wine in the Primary. It is the most beautiful magenta color I have ever seen, not quite as deep as the prickly pear wine, but close.

i think jack keller might have a melon wine recipe but im not 100% sure.

I made a melon mead last year, its tasty but still has a rather large acid bite, I figure ill leave it another year...

Back