Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just got home from work and it's bubbling now with a good 1/2 inch of krausen (is it still called that when we're fermenting apple juice instead of wort?).

I think the last batch got well aerated in my dissolving of the sugar. I had spread it between 4 of the 1 gal bottles and shook the hell out of all of it. I realized later that corn sugar dissolves easier than listerine strips. I shook less this time to avoid all the foam.

Oh well, it's fermenting now and i should be able to have this batch carbonated in bottles by christmas. I'm guessing I'll give most of this one away as small gifts to co-workers and friends.

ma2brew said:
I'm beginning to get the idea that the first batch of this isn't going to last long. If a person was to plan on reusing the yeast cake, is it as simple as racking off the current batch, and then pouring a new batch right into the freshly emptied carboy, no sanitization (aside from the funnel) needed?

You could, but at about a dollar for a packet of yeast, why not start over?

I am giving the Apfelwein a go tomorrow after work. This is my first attempt at ANY type of hard cider/wine. If one were to add flavoring (such as cinnamon) at what point in the process would it be done?

Thanks,

JW

TronCarter said:
You could, but at about a dollar for a packet of yeast, why not start over?
That makes much more sense, in practical thinking. In fact, I paid ¢70 for the packet of D47 that's made such a nice cake in the carboy right now. I think I am just interested in seeing the thing happen, and maybe even seeing what differences there might be using the same juice and sugar, but with a yeast that's already grown from a previous batch. Call me goofy, but I'm still shocked I can make beer and wine on my kitchen counter.

Edwort, I recently (about 10 days ago) tried your Apelwein recipe. I followed it to the T save that I used honey instead of dextrose as I do not have access to dextrose (so I guess it would be a cyser).

Anyway, within the first two days it was flying, fermenting like mad. Now, it is stopped and cleared quite a bit. Is this normally how things go? Do you ever have trouble with a stuck ferment with this stuff?

Also, I didn't use any yeast nutrient, as per the recipe.

Gusizhuo said:
Edwort, I recently (about 10 days ago) tried your Apelwein recipe. I followed it to the T save that I used honey instead of dextrose as I do not have access to dextrose (so I guess it would be a cyser).

Anyway, within the first two days it was flying, fermenting like mad. Now, it is stopped and cleared quite a bit. Is this normally how things go? Do you ever have trouble with a stuck ferment with this stuff?

Also, I didn't use any yeast nutrient, as per the recipe.

Normally, honey takes forever to ferment out, how much did you use?

Gusizhuo said:
So, as honey is taking its "forever" is it fermenting with little to no apparent sign of activity?

Perhaps the initial activity was the natural sugars in the juice and the honey hasn't started to ferment yet? You may get a secondary burst of activity (but I'm just guessing).

Also, I don't have a LBS within an hour of me, but I found dextrose at a health food store about a mile from my house. It was $4.49 for 2 pounds which is a little pricey, but cheaper than shipping or driving 60 miles each way.

First time attempting this Apfelwein stuff. I'm very intrigued. Hopefully the wife and sister-in-law like it. They are not big fans of heavier beers.

I used everything but 8oz of Apple Juice (376oz total). I hope I left enough of headspace in the carboy.

Mike

TronCarter said:
Also, I don't have a LBS within an hour of me, but I found dextrose at a health food store about a mile from my house. It was $4.49 for 2 pounds which is a little pricey, but cheaper than shipping or driving 60 miles each way.

My local bulk foods store (Bulk Barn) carries dextrose (labelled as corn sugar) for $2.40/kg.

ma2brew said:
... Call me goofy, but I'm still shocked I can make beer and wine on my kitchen counter.
OK, my conscience got the better of me and I stopped by the LHBS and picked up a fresh packet of Montrachet, since they finally got some in stock. I'll be kinda doin' things bassackwards, by modding the recipe in the original with Lalvin D47 yeast, and my second batch of E/A will be with the Red Star Montrachet as intended by EdWort.

Matt

25 days ago I started a batch with Cote des Blancs yeast. Had a little leftover which I threw in a 1 gallon carboy with a little vanilla and few cinnamon sticks. Tried a little tonight and whew! I'm hoping it will get better with age or I just ruined it with what I added. Tasted just like Naddy Light. After a few more sips it got a hair better but not good enough to save the cup from the damnations of the drain.

Regardless here is to my 5 gallons tasting like the sweet nectar I have heard it is. One more week and I'll decide to mass age it or bottle it :mug:

Well, for a normal 5 gallon batch you would probably use 2 cinnamon sticks and an ounce of vanilla. How much vanilla did you use for 1 gallon?

Maybe 3 sticks but I removed them after a week or so. As for vanilla I'd say aprox 1 teaspoon. The thing is I never tasted the cinnamon or vanilla individually, just something that was an exact replica of the cheap Natural Light beer. :confused: Luckly I only put 2 cinnamon sticks in the 5 gallon batch and no vanilla

I made this last year for Canada Day (July 1st) Everyone loved this recipe. So now the batches that I have on are going to sit and age for a while.

Nov 17 made the batch
By Jan 1 , 08 Xfer to Secondary
By March 1 Bottle, let age till July 1

Thanks for the great Recipe Edwort.

I tried reading most of this post but after my eyes burning I give up...Has anyone one had good results with cote de blancs? and do you just throw the yeast nutrient in when putting all the juice in the fermentor?

kjones said:
I tried reading most of this post but after my eyes burning I give up...Has anyone one had good results with cote de blancs? and do you just throw the yeast nutrient in when putting all the juice in the fermentor?

Cote de Blancs works fine, it's not as tart as the Montrachet...
and you don't need to use any nutrient... just pitch the yeast right onto the juice...

the_wrath_of_Khan said:
From what I understand aerate beer when you prepare to bottle it in the priming tank is bad. Is that also the case with the Apfelwien?
NO-Aerate it going into the primary, before pitching the yeast. Never again after that! Any O2 after that is going to oxidize your brew and make it foul. If you follow the directions for Apfelwein, and simply shake up your apple juice containers well when you toss in the dextrose you will have plenty of aeration. If you feel you need more then shake up the other containers halfway through each one getting poured in, but don't aerate after that, it isn't necessary.

Adolphus79 said:
Cote de Blancs works fine, it's not as tart as the Montrachet...
and you don't need to use any nutrient... just pitch the yeast right onto the juice...

I thought I read somewhere waaay back in this thread that Cote de Blancs needs the nutrients. I know that Montrachet does not.

TL

TexLaw said:
I thought I read somewhere waaay back in this thread that Cote de Blancs needs the nutrients. I know that Montrachet does not.

TL
Straight off the website, from Red Star
Red Star® Côte des Blancs (Davis 750), a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, has been derived from a selection of the Geisenheim Institute in Germany. It is a relatively slow fermenter, identical to Geisenheim Epernay, but producing less foam. This yeast requires nutrient addition for most chardonnay fermentations. Côte des Blancs produces fine, fruity aromas and may be controlled by lowering temperature to finish with some residual sugar. It is recommended for reds, whites, sparkling cuvées and non-grape fruit wines (especially apple, it is reported). Ferments best between 17°-30°C (64°-86°F). Sensitive below 13°C (55°F).
One could safely assume that nutrients would probably be helpful, if not necessary for this one in Apfelwein... YMMV.

I read on here that Wyeast 3068 is a good strain for this-as opposed to the wine yeasts. I started a batch using 3068 4 weeks ago and it's STILL bubbling. It's between 65-70 degrees and the initial fermentation was very active...just curious as to how long this might last. Previous batches with the Montrachet have been only about a week of fermentation, and I had them bottled in a month. Any other experience with 3068?

BrewDey said:
I read on here that Wyeast 3068 is a good strain for this-as opposed to the wine yeasts. I started a batch using 3068 4 weeks ago and it's STILL bubbling. It's between 65-70 degrees and the initial fermentation was very active...just curious as to how long this might last. Previous batches with the Montrachet have been only about a week of fermentation, and I had them bottled in a month. Any other experience with 3068?

Be patient, it will end eventually. The 3068 works great and taste even greater.....if you want sweet cider. The last batch I made only had 4.2% ABV compared to Apfelwein at 8.6% ABV, but it was really good! The ladies will love it! :rockin:

macs said:
Be patient, it will end eventually. The 3068 works great and taste even greater.....if you want sweet cider. The last batch I made only had 4.2% ABV compared to Apfelwein at 8.6% ABV, but it was really good! The ladies will love it! :rockin:

Nice-sounds like it'll be tasty and a bit different. I was hoping to be drinking this stuff at Christmas, but I'll wait if I have to!!

I used it for the 5g I have going now. It is starting to back off now but went strong for two weeks. I'm guessing I got by w/o added nutrients???

Thanks,
JW

My first batch was made from Cider that I procured from a local farm, it turned out lightly colored, kinda like a commercial light beer in color. Batch two was made per instructions (differing only in yeast used) and is a nice amber color :)

Much better.

the_wrath_of_Khan said:
I just picked up everything to start mine in a few days. Oh yeah!

I gotta ask: Why in a few days? It takes all of about 20 minutes to throw everything together, and that's when you don't know what you're doing. :) What's holding you back, man? :tank:

TL

BrewDey said:
Nice-sounds like it'll be tasty and a bit different. I was hoping to be drinking this stuff at Christmas, but I'll wait if I have to!!

Although not at it's peak of flavor, it should be drinkable by Christmas if you bottle it within a week or so. Try a small bottle the day before to see how it tastes before sharing. Did you use yeast nutrient? I always do now after I saw the effect the nutrients had on my Apfelwein while fermenting. My 3068 cider took 1 month to become still and two weeks later was already tasting pretty good. :cross:

this is going to sound like a silly question... but I've had a questionable response with my apfelwein. Personally I enjoy the stuff. Still, sparkling, even the one I made with a hefeweizen yeast and a bit less sugar (also a still and sparkling version). I'll take a 22oz'er or two out and it seems like I have a glass or two and people seem to pass :drunk: Perhaps I'm missing something.... well I guess more its that they are missing something, but still what the heck? I didn't think I had feelings before this :(

TexLaw said:
I gotta ask: Why in a few days? It takes all of about 20 minutes to throw everything together, and that's when you don't know what you're doing. :) What's holding you back, man? :tank:

TL

I picked up all of my Apple juice locally, but I had to order the better bottle, yeast, and corn sugar online. So I got everything ordered, but it hasn't arrived yet! The day I get it all of my supplies in one place I will get started.

I enjoyed a grolsh bottle full of the stuff last night during the Packers game. I think 2 cups of Splenda was too much, and 5/3 cups like batch number one was great

david_the_greek said:
this is going to sound like a silly question... but I've had a questionable response with my apfelwein. Personally I enjoy the stuff. Still, sparkling, even the one I made with a hefeweizen yeast and a bit less sugar (also a still and sparkling version). I'll take a 22oz'er or two out and it seems like I have a glass or two and people seem to pass :drunk: Perhaps I'm missing something.... well I guess more its that they are missing something, but still what the heck? I didn't think I had feelings before this :(

Maybe they are just affraid to try it out? Maybe they think it's a "Girlie drink"? hehe I haven't had that response myself, but it must be a horrible feeling. Like noboby trusts your brewing skills.:(
At least it leaves more for you! :mug:

Busting out my first Apfelwein tonight. Stopped by Costco and got the enormous amount of Tree Top necessary and the checker was intrigued. Or perhaps it was my smoky good looks. No matter.

I only have 1 lb of corn sugar and don't want to head out to the LHBS to get more, so I'm going with 1 lb corn sugar and 1 lb brown sugar + Montrachet yeast.

Let you know in a month!

david_the_greek said:

I've had mixed reactions to it. No one really HATES it-but it is different if you're used to beer. Those who like champagne seem to enjoy it, and anyone who has put down a whole pint rarely complains after that.

Back