First all grain next weekend - recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malweth

Reaction score
My recipe's already pretty set (already got the grain), but here's what it looks like before and after the LHBS:

Apple Pie Ale (Brown Ale)

7 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Victory
1.5 lbs Crystal 60
0.25 lbs Chocolate
0.1 lbs Roasted Barley
1 oz Goldings @ 60
1 oz Goldings @ 15
Irish Moss @ 15
4 oz Apples @ 0
4 fl.oz Boiled Cider @ 0
1 gal Cider @ secondary

I made sure to get an extra oz of goldings for bittering in case my efficiency is good...

After the LHBS, I got 2 lbs of Vienna instead of Victory (they didn't have Victory or Biscuit). I'm now thinking of toasting 2 lbs of my Maris Otter because I want a nutty/biscuity flavor in the background.

BeerSmith2 estimates:
Mash Eff: 70.6%
OG 1.054 (including cider & apples, but not the boiled cider)
IBU 21.2
Color 19.1 SRM
ABV 5.7%

Thoughts? Am I setting myself up for anything?

Make sure you mash a little higher. With all that cider I could imagine that fermenting out DRY. Unless that's how you wanted it of course.

Thanks! I will aim high... maybe 156-158?

BTW - forgot to mention that I'll be putting cinnamon & nutmeg into the secondary. It doesn't play any role in the AG process, but I forgot it in the recipe.

why are you adding 4oz of cider at flameout and the rest during secondary? why not just add all of it to secondary?

and how does your OG include the cider added later, but not the boiled cider?

malweth said:
Thanks! I will aim high... maybe 156-158?

Sure! I've done beers around there that had lots of body. Should even out the cider well.

It's 4 oz of boiled cider (it's concentrated cider syrup... essentially sugary apple extract).

The pectic enzyme is a good idea! I have some on hand from winemaking.

Latest posts

Back