Bottle Carbonating old Commercial Kegged Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxSpang

Reaction score
Today, my boss brought me in about a gallon of some commercial beer that came from a keg (what a great boss!) Nothing better than free beer!

He doesn't drink, and he had some left over from a keg from a party that he had recently. I think it's Holy Grail Ale.

He put it into a lightly sealed iced-tea server, so I am figuring that the carbonation is pretty much nonexistent.

My question is, can I put in some yeast and put it into bottles with carb tabs and recarbonate the stuff?

I'm figuring it's a bit oxidized, but I don't plan on aging it for any period of time so I'm not too worried about it.

I have never repitched yeast for bottling (for my homebrews). I have some Safale dry ale yeast, can I just throw it in the beer in the bottling bucket?

Thanks!

Not worth it. I'd be surprised if it's even drinkable at this point.

You think so? It's only been out of the keg for like 12 hours. If I bottle it fairly quickly shouldn't it be at least salvageable?

I could be wrong, though!

Well, unless you are at work now just take a taste of it!
If you cannot drink it when it's flat, there aint no way you can drink it when it's carb'd!

(if you are at work just don't tell anyone);)

Haha, I am at work right now. I haven't tasted it...yet... :D

But I guess what I'm asking is that if it does taste good, just flat, then would it work if I was to stir in some rehydrated dry yeast right before I bottle/carb tab it?

I would think that as long as the proportions were correct you should wind up with a revived beer! Good luck and keep us updated!

I would think that as long as the proportions were correct you should wind up with a revived beer! Good luck and keep us updated!

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

I'm going to go the easy route and use carb tabs rather than try to figure out the proportions. I figure if it fails, I'm only out a cheap pack of yeast and a few carb tabs.

I'll keep everyone updated on this! Should be a fun experiment

If the keg was served with a hand pump you can expect oxidation. Also, I'm sure it's picked up some unwanted microbes at some point. So long you keep the beer cold you can suppress the growth but as soon as you bottle condition it will take hold.

Back