No Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4jeep74

Reaction score
I have some yeast cake and wort that was saved from an apa. I boiled the wort, cooled it down and pitched the yeast. place it on a stir plate ( Home Made ) for 2 days now, my question is what is a sign that the yeast is healthy, I haven't noticed anything different from day 1, no co2 or krausen. maybe because of the spin action?. Brew day is tomorro and getting a little concerned.

You could check the gravity of the starter to make sure you had fermentation. The stir plate will remove all the free co2 from solution very well, so you maybe have missed that stage.

okay i checked my starter before the boil and then after a couple of days. 10 brix before and 5 brix after, looks good to me, call me crazy or call me drunk but I thought I saw a Krausen forming while aerating the wort after pitching the starter. Hahaha

Yeast don't make a krausen in a stir-plate environment, because the point of stirplate is to keep enough oxygen dissolved in the wort so that they undergo aerobic metabolism and not fermentation (where they produce bubbles of co2). You will just see the wort turn cloudy as the yeast reproduce on a stir-plate.

Back