American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I just pulled a sample from my batch I did a week ago with my different hop additions, and holy crap. Smooth and hoppy, this is the definition of a session beer.

My hop schedule went:

.75oz magmums @ 60
.5oz cascade @ 30
.5oz cascade @ 15
1oz casade @ flameout

I wanted a good, clean bitterness, but all of the cascades to be used for flavor/aroma. I've heard great things about using magnums for bittering, and after this beer, I am a convert.

Silly question I know, but this recipe looks great. I'm placing an order from a HBS, but they don't have Crystal 10. Closest thing seems to be Munich 10l. I'm assuming the Crystal is just for color.. any other sub?

Silly question I know, but this recipe looks great. I'm placing an order from a HBS, but they don't have Crystal 10. Closest thing seems to be Munich 10l. I'm assuming the Crystal is just for color.. any other sub?

Bump it to the next level of Crystal your HBS has and cut back on it a fraction.

Success! SWMBO loves it! She will back this hobby as long as I keep some of this on hand!

Thanks Ed!:mug:

I made this beer once, I have to say its probably one of my favorite beers ever. So crisp and delicious, it's really almost lager-like, you'll be surprised. I second the cold crash, helped me get a really nice clarity in the beer.

I might do this one again, but with a pound of rye in it for some spiciness and instead of 2 oz cascade, 1 oz cascade for bittering and 1 oz Saaz for flavor, with the same original schedule. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

And for $20 for grain+hops, you can't really complain... I'm going to use a reused/washed Wyeast London Ale yeast for this.

Just having a pint 21 days after brew day. 10 days primary ferment - 4 days cold crash @35degF - one week kegged/carbed/chilled - I like this and look forward to enjoying it on christmas day with my in-laws!

Bottled up the Haus Pale Ale after 4 weeks in primary. Hit FG perfectly.

The sample tasted great. I can't wait for this one to bottle condition as it may be my best brew yet.

Jeff

Just bought all the ingredients for this beer and the cascade hops that I purchased had an AA% of 5, which only put me at 29 IBUs. I had some Mt. Hood laying around so I changed the hop schedule to this:

1.5oz Cascade 5% 60 min
.5oz Cascade 5% 30 min
.25oz Mt. Hood 5.2% 15 min
.25oz Mt. Hood 5.5% 5 min

This schedule gives me 38 IBUs. What do you guys think?

Had this last night for the first time off my keg. I thought it would have been a lot hoppier. Not even close to my IPA. This beer also tasted quite a bit sweeter than I thought it would have. Sure would be nice to compare it to someone else's batch so I know If I am there or not.

Had this last night for the first time off my keg. I thought it would have been a lot hoppier. Not even close to my IPA. This beer also tasted quite a bit sweeter than I thought it would have. Sure would be nice to compare it to someone else's batch so I know If I am there or not.

Well, it's a pale ale, so it shouldn't be quite as hoppy as an IPA right?

As far as sweetness, what was your FG? mine was around 1.018, which is a little high, but didn't seem too sweet.

dunno...

Good to know it should not be like an IPA. For some reason I thought an APA would have a bit of hop character to it as well. It finished off at 1.012 so I did not expect sweetness as well. Maybe that is not the flavor I am tasting.

I went 100% Amaraillo Hops with mine. The transformation of the beer from a week one bottle conditioned sample to a one month sample is mind blowing.

One week in and it was all citrus and grapefruity. Almost to a fault if you weren't expecting it. Two weeks in it was perfect for a session beer that you could drink all day. In fact my friends and I almost drank the entire batch in a weekend of board gaming. We named the beer Cosmic Encounter.

Now at four weeks the beer has taken on a level of bitterness that overshadows the citrus elements. I think I like the fresher beer more. As a fan of Belgians.. this seems backwards to me!

I think I'm going to add a bit more maltiness to my next batch. Step it up a bit at a time and refine this thing to my liking over the next year. Loving it.

Not sure what happened to mine. Had a funky smell when I went to keg it and now after being kegged it just doesn't have much of a flavor at all...really weird even though I hit my numbers pretty well. :mad:

Did you adjust the recipe based on the aaus of your hops? I've made this several times and I typically up the hops by an ounce to reach a more hoppy apa

I did adjust the Hop adjustments based on the AAU's. I have family coming over for Christmas tonight and will have a little tasting session. Curious to see if they come up with the same conclusion. All of my numbers were really good. The only thing possible in question would be my digital thermometer. I tested it in ice water and it was on. Asked for a thermapen for Christmas. Maybe its not sweetness I am tasting but the cascade hops.

I did adjust the Hop adjustments based on the AAU's. I have family coming over for Christmas tonight and will have a little tasting session. Curious to see if they come up with the same conclusion. All of my numbers were really good. The only thing possible in question would be my digital thermometer. I tested it in ice water and it was on. Asked for a thermapen for Christmas. Maybe its not sweetness I am tasting but the cascade hops.

I also find this recipe tastes much better after 6 weeks of conditioning. I just made a batch recently and stuck to the recipe and it is a bit sweet for me. It likely will mellow out over the next few weeks

So looking at the instructions for this it says after 60 minutes add 5 quarts of 175 degree water. Do I just pour this on top and vorlauf, or should I be adding it,stirring it and letting it sit for 10 minutes, then drain?

Frito....pour the water in the mash tun, stir it for a minute or two, and then vorlauf. I actually wait the ten minutes before vorlaufing, but I've also read that it's not really necessary.

I bottled my Haus Pale Ale 10 days ago, but I couldn't wait any longer. I cracked one open tonight.....sooo good! I am really looking forward to this after a few more weeks.

Thanks Ed!!

I brewed this for the first time on 22 Dec using a RIMS system and substituting WLP001. It fermented pretty vigorously for about 1.5 days. The OG was 1.051 and today, 29 Dec, the gravity is 1.012 (using a Precision Hydrometer). The color is right on and it tastes fantastic right out of the primary! No wonder it's so popular. I'll definitely be brewing this as a standard. I plan to keg it in TAD mini kegs.

Just finished brewing the all grain version. OG is 1.054 and I pitched WYeast 1056. I loved my mini-mash version of this beer - can't wait to taste this one!

Whoops... I accidentally made this with 4 lbs of VM instead of 2... this should be interesting.

So looking at the instructions for this it says after 60 minutes add 5 quarts of 175 degree water. Do I just pour this on top and vorlauf, or should I be adding it,stirring it and letting it sit for 10 minutes, then drain?

I don't let it rest, I just vorlauf right away, my efficiency is 75-80%. I'm not expert, but it seems to work.

Anyone get a tomato flavor from this?

I noticed lately from a few pales I have drank that they had a tomato flavor which I do not really like.

????
I've only done the one, and didn't note anything like that.

I'' have to keep an eye out in the future. What yeast did you use?

This was the first beer I made that was mistaken for commercial. Ed, you sure know how to make a solid recipe. Now if I ever remember the black patent when I'm at the lhbs, I can try the robust porter.

I kegged my first batch of this tonight in TAD bottles. I made a slight mistake and forgot to prime the beer before I transferred it. Luckily, I have some Muntons CarbTabs and all I have to do is calculate how many to add per 6L. My final gravity ended up at 1.010 and OG was 1.050. I brewed it on 22 Dec and placed it in my garage for 3 days at about 60F. It is very clear. I hope there is still some yeast left to carb it or I'll have to force carb it with TAD cartridges. You can see how clear it is already.
DSC_0224.jpg

I just brewed this one over the holidays, just about two weeks ago. Here's my brewday write-up: http://alexdippel.com/brews/homegrown-haus-pale-ale/

I subbed in my homegrown cascades and nuggets for all but one addition, and scaled it up to yield 6gallons before racking. it smelled and looked awesome, and the Nottingham yeast tore through it in just a few days. I'm actually hoping it didn't end up too dry, honestly... we'll see. either way, it was cheap and easy. can't wait to get it bottled and conditioned. thanks again to EdWort for sharing the recipe.

I love this recipe, so today I am doing another 10 gallons, only with a little bit of a twist on the standard. I am doing it as a centennial pale ale and pulling off 5 gallons at the end of the boil for a no-chill IPA (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/exploring-no-chill-brewing-117111/)

Here's the base recipe:
Centennial House Pale Ale
Batch size 5 gallons
Boil size 6.1 gallons
Boil time 60 minutes
Grain weight 10.5 pounds
Efficiency 75%

Original gravity 1.058
Final gravity 1.013
Alcohol (by volume) 5.8%
Bitterness (IBU) 41
Color (SRM) 4.5°L
Yeast
11 dry grams Dry Danstar Nottingham Ale

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
2 Row Base 8 pounds
Vienna 2 pounds
Crystal 10L 0.5 pounds

Hops
Centennial hops
10%, Pellet 1 ounce
Magnum hops
14%, Pellet 0.5 ounces

Boil
60 minutes, 6.1 gallons
Magnum hops 0.5 ounces 60 minutes (+0)
Centennial hops 0.5 ounces 30 minutes (+30)
Centennial hops 0.25 ounces 15 minutes (+45)
Wort chiller 15 minutes (+45)
Centennial hops 0.25 ounces 5 minutes (+55)

Ferment
14 days @ 57-70°F

Adding in another oz of centennial when transferring to the no-chill vessel and an oz of dry hops yields an "IPA" of 71 IBU

This stuff is really good. Just pulled a pint off after a 4 days on gas and it is already good. My SWMBO really liked it which is unusual because she usually hates anything I brew. I ordered stuff to make another 8 gallons to get the pipeline stocked. Awesome recipe and finishes out quickly. Thanks ED!

Drinking some right now from my 1st batch. it really grows on you. I use Columbus/Centennial.

10 more gallons carbing, s/b ready in a week

Ok well, this was my second AG batch. Things did not go as planned. I had pre filtered my tap water, was dead on for my mash water volume...Then it came to my sparge water. Had it all calculated using beertools, double checked my numbers was dead on, but when filtering my water, I accidently added an additional 1 1/2 gallons. Opps! Noticed this when my friggen mash tun was almost filled to the top. Doh!!! Anyway, stopped my sparge early, came up short with my preboil gravity and added a few cups of DME. Then because I am such an expert, figured I'd boil down an additional 1/2 gallon and add another 1/2 hour to the boil. Came up high with an OG of 1.060. Oh well we'll see how this one comes out, and chock it up as a learning experience. Thoughts on how this one may come out? Anyone else run into similar sparge problems? How’d the beers come out, how’d you fix ‘em? I’m wondering if that last gallon I had in my mash tun had all the “good stuff” in it.

Back