The Green Machine - My brewstand build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been designing and designing my stand for months now.

As of now I have built the stand and painted it. I will be putting all the components to the stand in the coming week.

Here is the blueprint of my stand courtesy of diatonic. Diatonic - I took your exact dimensions minus of few teeny adjustments.

Also I would like to thank Diatonic and SouthernYankee for the inspiration.

Blueprint1.jpg

Here's the stand build. I had a friend of a friend build it for me for $200 in labor. The whole thing was tig welded. Steel is all 1 1/2" square tube by 14 gauge. I think the steel was about $70 for three sticks of 20 feet each.

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

Top is finished. On to the body.

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

I did a gas bar as well. Has 3 threaded nipples for gas lines and one input for a 80lb propane tank.

IMAG0014.jpg

Another pic of nipple for gas bar.

IMAG0016.jpg

Next I added a horizontal bar underneath the top to mount by three burners to.

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

Lastly, I had a plate welded to the bottom horizontal bar for mounting my Little Giant pump.

IMAG0027.jpg

I will post pics of the painted stand tonight.

Love me my painted stands - if I could have been convinced that the paint would hold up to the burners over time, I'd have gone for mild steel and painted it, in the end I went stainless.

Also, TELL me these are old photos? Surely you guys haven't gotten dumped on ALREADY? That's a lotta snow outside for September!

I always feel the need to ask the perennial question, "how much does she weigh?".

No snow yet. I actually did the stand in May and that's up in the Mtns.

I used some of that 2000F header paint, so we will see how it holds up over time.

I haven't weighed it. But its surprising lighter than I expected. My guess is somewhere around 40 lbs.

*has flashbacks to ex wife*

lol...it can be very useful when friends attempt to hook you up. Often it's a deal killer right from the git go. I get accused of being shallow and not looking past superficial appearance for the inner beauty, but I've got to be true to my heart, or whatever.:D

I will try and weight tonight. It is light. I can easily pick it up over my head and I'm no body builder.

I see that it's 14 ga x 1-1/2" square. I thought it was thicker and larger. If you can easily lift it above your head, your estimate of 40 lbs or so is probably not that far off. My buddy built an SS Brutus using 2 X 2 x 1/8" tubing and it's way heavy. Especially so when he added the burners, valves, two pumps, casters, control panel and other miscellaneous equipment. It think it's up to about 400 lbs and possibly more than that. It's a bear to move. He hauled it out of his basement and brought it to a group brew last year. Said he plans to never move it again and I fully understand why.

lol...it can be very useful when friends attempt to hook you up. Often it's a deal killer right from the git go. I get accused of being shallow and not looking past superficial appearance for the inner beauty, but I've got to be true to my heart, or whatever.:D
Not to thread hijack, but let's just say my first wife was a "friend" who did me a "favour" when I first moved to the States, whom I found about as attractive as a dairy cow (and weighed about as much) who decided that she was in love with me after the fact, and wouldn't let me out. (There's a reason I like to drink!)

40 lbs !! What is that stuff, titanium? I was gonna guess more like 150.
I dunno, 40 sounds about right if there's nothing else on it. My brutus clocks in around... 250? And that's with burners, pumps, swingarm, control panel, etc. (2" 16GA stainless) When I finished the welding and before I started installing everything, I could get the frame over my head (might have been drunk at the time, celebrating the end of welding and grinding, however...)

For those who were curious the rig weighs 47 lbs including the wheels which are probably 3-4lbs.

Here's the stand painted. I used Duplicolor 2000F car header paint for the gray and Duplicolor 500F auto engine paint for the green. Its Mopar Green, but I like to think of if as John Deere green.

IMG_8407.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

The plate is for the pump.

IMG_8410.jpg

Here's the Little Giant pump

IMG_8411.jpg

My new plate chiller. Its from the same manufactuer as Duda Diesel's chiller but its 316 SS inside. 5.2 ft^2 of chilling puts it at about 85% of the Therminator's chilling surface.

IMG_8413.jpg

Added the thermo so I can measure outlet temps.

IMG_8412.jpg

After the GABF I will finish the thing and get full pics of it with my kettles, etc.

Nice stand but you almost had me fooled on the snow there. Just talked to my BIL last night that is in Laramie and they definitely don't have snow yet.

The paint is not cured, which I know it is supposed to be done. But yeah like you said, no oven like that in my possession. If the top burns then I will just use the black BBQ paint. Fingers crossed.

I don't remember the tig model, but its a Hobart. You can see it in one of the build pics up top, but its not clear enough to read a model #. I can ask for you though.

I'm going to look around right now but, does anyone have any input on pneumatic tires under their rig? I'm in the (very) early planning stages right now and I just think it would be easier to roll around in general, not to mention over my crappy driveway...

Good looking rig man, have fun at GABF!

I bet you could contact a local heat treating place or something similar (factory???) and they would let you cure it there. It would be worth a try. If you can cure it, the paint will last. Else, it will very likely crack off. It might at least be worth a few calls around town.

I bet you could contact a local heat treating place or something similar (factory???) and they would let you cure it there. It would be worth a try. If you can cure it, the paint will last. Else, it will very likely crack off. It might at least be worth a few calls around town.

Great idea. I didn't even know this was possible. I will check it out.

Read above. The stand was actually built in May when we still did have snow.

Back