small space fermentation vessel idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

I like cold beverages
Reaction score
I am sure that I am not alone in not having enough room to have a keg fridge and a fermentation cabinet but with summer coming up I would like to control my fermentation temps.

The idea I had was to take a ss pot and make a silicone tubing gasket to go over the edges of the lid to make a seal and hold it in place with a few clamps. (kinda like the $250 conical do more the most part) For a blow off tube I would drill a hole in the lid large enough for a stopper and blow off tube.

To control the temps I was thinking of trying to go the peltier route but I am not sure of how to attach the cold plate to the side of the pot. Any ideas on that?

I think I would just use more of the smaller pelts because of the problem of removing the heat from the hot side, but there is some math that needs to worked out on that aspect.

wrap the pot in foam and jb weld some castors to the bottom so I can roll into the townhouse.

maybe this isn't a great idea, but I think it beasts removing the keg from the keg fridge for a week or so to do fermentations and the ice water bath would be great if my wife didn't always have the freezer full of food and I have hops taking up space on the door.

Any thoughts, suggestions, words of encouragement/discouragement?

And I thought I would open this thread to chat about a small fermentation vessel in geosynchronous orbit with a carbon fibre tether to your roof. Oh well. Boring!

:)

Actually, until i got it for a keezer, and then subsequently put my keg fermenter inside it just for s's & g's, I thought a chest freezer was just about the worst idea for a ferm chamber. Now I will be getting another 2. My bottom yeast dump is easily accessible since I built the collar into the lid, instead of the other way around. Easy.

You could get a chest freezer that is pretty much exactly the size of your fermenters, plus 3 or 4 inches around. There are so many of them out there and they're cheap on craigslist.

If you swap out the tether for a bundle of carbon nano-tubes plumbed into a picnic tap, you could have ice cold space beer on tap with astronomically low foaming! Far Out Dude

did you search the diy forum, a few similarly minded people with more time than either sense or space have designed peltier ferm chambers (mine is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-peltier-temp-control-junk-350722/) generally people at least use a heat sink and fan on the hot side, mine pumps fluid through a radiator and pc fan. mine actually is in perfect geostationary orbit, being one floor above the ground, and therefore about 10 meters above mean sea level

Latest posts

Back