Stove top cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kborndale

Reaction score
hey guys, hate to ask a question thats been asked, but couldnt find anything with search.....whats the best way to clean a SS stove top after a boil over has dried (the next day)? Obviously it would have been much easier before it dried but what are ya gonna do? I tried soaking in vinegar with out much help. Is it just alot of elbow grease or is there a secret? thanks

i use the veggie wash but mines not a stainless steel top. you can try the veggie wash it works pretty good

green scrubbies will scratch some stainless (DAMHIKT).

Oven cleaner (easy off) works really well on the hard to get off stuff. Just don't get it on paint, or plastic.

If it is wort or another suger solution, put a rag on it, pour a little boiling water on the rag, and let it sit for a few minutes, it will wipe right off.

tim

green scrubbies will scratch some stainless (DAMHIKT).

Oven cleaner (easy off) works really well on the hard to get off stuff. Just don't get it on paint, or plastic.

If it is wort or another suger solution, put a rag on it, pour a little boiling water on the rag, and let it sit for a few minutes, it will wipe right off.

tim

Oven cleaner is the only thing I've had work. Haven't tried barkeeper's friend yet, but I've been meaning to get some to clean up a stainless counter.

oven cleaner and elbow grease seem to be slowly doing the trick, thanks for the answers I will have to try barkeepers friend some time though. On another note, whats up with the search on this site? I tried to search and came up with nothing but then after I post the message in similar threads at the bottom I get a few threads that answer my question

I just use this..

9.jpg

Put water on it and let it soak for a bit. Seems to work fine and is under a dollar a can.

You could try something called Cerma Brite. It is designed for cermic top stoves. I've used it on my bbq and it cleans it really well. It has a mild abrasive in it though so scrub with the grain. I have seen a spray for cleaning stainless bbqs that takes anything off. Could try those.

Dawn Power Dissolver - no direct brewing-related experience but I use it on a stainless stove top.
Same stuff as Easy Off, I assume, and same cautions should apply?
Note: product may be discontinued, not sure.

Ammonia, my good man, ammonia. Put some into a bucket with hot water...as hot as your hands can stand. Let it soften the crud, scrub with a soft dishcloth, and you'll be amazed at how easily it comes off.

Always remember, basic for soaking and cleaning, acid for rinsing.

Cheap and easy to find also!

The trick with anything is to let it sit for a bit. I've tried water-soaked paper towels for hours, no effect. Pooling some Windex (active ingredient is ammonia) on the stain for hours... no effect. Oven cleaner for 20 minutes, wipes right off. May need to do it again if the stain was thick, to get at the lower layers, but you can really see it work. Just be careful, since it's basically lye in a can and will burn your skin or anything else organic (including plastics).

Back