Things a homebrewer shouldn't do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
david_42 said:
Eat a pellet of 19% AA hops.

Lick hop oil concentrate off your fingers.

Did you balance the hops and follow with malt?

You're giving your GI tract a workout this week.

Saltines and broth for you next week. your stomach need a vacation.

Chimone said:
OMG we've gone over this thousands of time. Sanitizing with pee is ok ONLY if you drank bleach the day before

But I thought real homebrewers didn't drink bleach?
Or is it okay as long as it's not drank out of an aluminum container?

fezzman said:
That was my biggest mistake. Where did all of my brew go? *cry cry* I need to up my brewing schedule now.

Yeah lol, tell me about it. I have found this true with gardening as well, even hunting. It's almost like...they feel entitled to it. LOL.

orfy said:
I eat everything. :p

I like the malt from the mashtun with my cereal.

Really? That's interesting. Does it have any flavor or are you pulling our proverbial-collective-internet-legs?

Yes and no.

The grain has the same taste as the wort.
I make bread with it as well. I always chomp on hops and love yeast from the bottom of the bottle.

I haven't eaten a whole bowl of malt, but I DID like the taste of the spent grains from my pale ale kit. Funny that zoebisch01 should mention eating it with cereal. I was thinking it would taste pretty good heated up with a bit of milk and a dab of honey. To me it tasted a bit like a real chewy multigrain cereal. Which, I guess it is in a way.

MariaAZ said:
I haven't eaten a whole bowl of malt, but I DID like the taste of the spent grains from my pale ale kit. Funny that zoebisch01 should mention eating it with cereal. I was thinking it would taste pretty good heated up with a bit of milk and a dab of honey. To me it tasted a bit like a real chewy multigrain cereal. Which, I guess it is in a way.

Lol, it's orfy who's eating the spent grains hehe. :D

I throw mine on the compost to be reborn as fertilizer. In the near future it shall give my hops nutrition! :ban:

orfy said:
Yes and no.

The grain has the same taste as the wort.
I make bread with it as well. I always chomp on hops and love yeast from the bottom of the bottle.
I always taste grains before I grind them but I've never tried spent grains. For me the husks wouldn't be all that enjoyable to eat.
I have tried spent grain bred and it was pretty good. It would be good for you as well.

RichBrewer said:
I always taste grains before I grind them but I've never tried spent grains. For me the husks wouldn't be all that enjoyable to eat.
I have tried spent grain bred and it was pretty good. It would be good for you as well.

If you've ever had wholegrain brean then you've eaten husks. Same with bran.
The grain is sweeter after the mashing.

I'll have a look if I saved it.

I just used a favourite recipe and reduce the dry ingredients and slightly reduced the wet ingredients to compensate for the wet grain.

It turned out well. Nice and sweat.

orfy said:
Nice and sweat.

Mmmm... sweat.

I haven't done anything with the spent grains yet, but my daughter (not quite two) *loves* chewing grain. She'll grab a bag of crystal malt and beg for me to put a little bit in a bowl for her to eat. She's also a freak for dry, instant oatmeal, and lots of other weird little things that she sees me consume.

the_bird said:
Mmmm... sweat.

I haven't done anything with the spent grains yet, but my daughter (not quite two) *loves* chewing grain. She'll grab a bag of crystal malt and beg for me to put a little bit in a bowl for her to eat. She's also a freak for dry, instant oatmeal, and lots of other weird little things that she sees me consume.

My German Shorthaired Pointer is the same way. If I spill any of my grains, she's all over that junk!

Beagles like sniffing the grains and hops, but they are wise enough to only drink it once it's got booze in it.

Drinking water, chewing hops and malt followed by yeast will NOT make beer in your belly!!!!

Everything is possible:

"The term used to describe this abnormal production of EA was ‘autobrewery syndrome’ and to our knowledge this has only been observed in Japanese subjects.

This condition seemed to appear after the subjects had eaten a carbohydrate-rich meal, such as rice. This study from Japan was difficult to fault because ethanol was identified in the blood, urine, and breath with the aid of a reliable gas chromatographic method for quantitative analysis.
Alan W. Jones & Barry K. Logan, DUI Defenses, Drug Abuse Handbook 1006, 1016 (Steven B. Karch ed., 1988)."

Sake is beer.

My wife has a friend who is about to start raising chickens. I have been asked to dry my spent grains and provide them for feed mixing.

I'm not sure how long I need to put the grain in the oven for or what temperature. Guess I'll start at around 200 or 250 and try to cook em slow. I know there's a thread somewhere for drying grain in the oven. I suppose I'll go dig that up and see what other folks are doing.

Sure hope I get a few eggs out of it now and then.

I have 7 chickens and they love the grains wet or dry. I spread the spent grains out on a spare storm window screen laid on a couple 2x4's to drain. That seems to prevent the grains from souring and I don't waste time and energy on an oven. 8-10 lbs of spent grain will feed my birds for 3-4 days.

In keeping with the OP's topic, do not put spent grains in a bucket thinking you will feed them to your chickens. It doesn't take long for them to get real nasty!

I love when I see this happen because I get to use this:

gravedigger.jpg

I made a breakfast stout last fall. I composted most of the spent grain; but I dried some out on a baking sheet @ 200F. I stored it until I transferred the stout to secondary and used what did not fit in a guinness quick bread. Ground some up and subbed it for some of the flour; also subbed some of the flour for rye flour and oats. Added some of the spent grains on the top as a garnish. It was good enough that a few friends who abstain from gluten even ate it.

What you shouldn't do: Leave spent grains in a bucket for SWMBO to find them in the morning- which leads me to the next shouldn't: drink one too many beers on brew day. :drunk:

a homebrewer should never let his wife know what he spends on his hobby............ unless he would like to be tasked with finding a new wife

A homebrewer should NEVER spend less than one to two hours a day thinking about, fantasizing (drooling) over, researching, or brewing beer. No exceptions!

a homebrewer should never let his wife know what he spends on his hobby............ unless he would like to be tasked with finding a new wife

That's funny, when I tell my friends what I spend on my wife, they give me a new beer! Ba-DUM

Back