What is a HLT? I think I already know, but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
So I am putting together my equipment for AG and I have already done one beer using what equipment I have, but I keep seeing reference to HLT's. I think it means a Heated Lauter Tun hence HLT. Is this correct.

I suppose this is probably a silly question to even ask, huh!

Salute! :mug:

Hot Liquor Tank/Tun for water going in to the Mash/Lauter Tun.

It should also be noted that you do not need a dedicated hot liquor tun. You can use the kettle you boil in as a hot liquor tank until you use it for the boil. You just have to collect your wort out of the mash tun into a bucket or something because the boil kettle will have your sparge water heating up to get ready for the sparge.

Yeah I never could understand why it was called a hot "liquor" tank when all thats usually in it is water. To a newbie it makes it sound like its actually full of hot liquor! Hahahaha

Many of these brewing terms come from ancient times and seem odd now but help make what we do more interesting.

It should also be noted that you do not need a dedicated hot liquor tun. You can use the kettle you boil in as a hot liquor tank until you use it for the boil. You just have to collect your wort out of the mash tun into a bucket or something because the boil kettle will have your sparge water heating up to get ready for the sparge.

Yeah, the term sounds technical so it's kind of misleading. It's just a dedicated tank for heating strike or sparge water. I don't have one. I use a smaller SS pot indoors on the stove to heat water because the propane there comes cheaper than in 20# cylinders.....

Hey! thanks for the responses. I assumed it was for such use and now I am at ease. I have a 5 gallon pot I do this with and I think I will add the weldless fittings and valve so it makes it easier to use.

I guess I have pretty much everything I need then to do AG. Now to start improving on all of it.

Thanks again.

You might reconsider whether its worthwhile to add fittings to a 5 gallon kettle. For 5 gallon batches, you'll need to heat approximately 10 gallons of water to up to 180 degrees for mash and sparge. Your pre-boil volume will be minimum 7 gallons, possibly more like 8. I would say that a 10 gallon kettle is a reasonable minimum size.

You might reconsider whether its worthwhile to add fittings to a 5 gallon kettle. For 5 gallon batches, you'll need to heat approximately 10 gallons of water to up to 180 degrees for mash and sparge. Your pre-boil volume will be minimum 7 gallons, possibly more like 8. I would say that a 10 gallon kettle is a reasonable minimum size.

The valve would only be for strike or sparge water. I have a 40qt pot for my 5 gallon brews and intend to purchase a larger one for 10 gallon brews. I appreciate the input though. Thanks.

Also - what's with Hot Liquor "Back"? I've heard this a few times and even our local micro-brewery has theirs labeled as such :confused:

Yeah I never could understand why it was called a hot "liquor" tank when all thats usually in it is water. To a newbie it makes it sound like its actually full of hot liquor! Hahahaha

Fun beer fact:

Liquor is what the water that is used for brewing is called.

On this message board you can ask a question like that, but there was a time when a brewer's apprentice was fined if he called it water instead of liquor.

Back