Real Grainy Flavor Using DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My last two batches have had these real grainy off flavor on the back end both I've used 3# DME. I switched from LME because of some bad malt, and thought DME was a better bet.

One was from a 10-day gravity taste test, but the prior was after a long enough ferment and conditioning period.

Is this something that may just need a longer time to clear up?

I've noticed very grainy flavors in my young AG batches. Have you bottle conditioned yet? I noticed the flavor went away after ~4 weeks in the fermenter, then 2 weeks in the keg at 12 psi in a fridge.

To me, domestic light base malts taste grainy and pilsner tastes bready. It could be that your LME and DME were made from different malt with different flavor.

That being said, the grainy thing tends to be covered by the munich or crystal that is in most ale recipes. I tend to only get it in something like a CAP or cream ale.

I took a gravity today and taste tested again. It seems like the taste has disipated after a couple days in secondary. I'm sure with a little while longer in secondary the flavor will really clear up.

Latest posts

Back