Mixed-Style Beer Abbey Weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamjonsharp

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast 1762)
Yeast Starter
0.5 gallons
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
90 min
IBU
20 IBUs
Color
4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Tasting Notes
abbeyweiss_glass_small.jpg

Abbey Weiss

16E Belgian Specialty Ale

Brew Date: August 13th, 2008
Batch Size: 6 gallons
Recipe Type: All-Grain
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.013
Apparent Attenuation: 76%
ABV: 5.7%
IBUs: 20
SRM: 4
Primary Fermentation: 12 days at 68F
Secondary Fermentation: 8 days at 68F
Boil Length: 90 minutes

Ingredients

7 lbs German Pilsner Malt (56%)
5 lbs German Wheat Malt (40%)
8 oz Rice Hulls (4%)

2 oz Tettnang Hops [3.2%] (90 min)

0.25 oz Chamomile Tea (flame out)
0.25 Coriander Seed, Crushed (flame out)

Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast 1762)

5 oz Corn Sugar (2.9 Volumes CO2)

Mash Profile

Single Infusion Batch Sparge
153F for 60 minutes
1.25 qts of water per lb grain

Brewing Notes

This beer turned out awesome. The chamomile and coriander is a great compliment to the Trappist yeast, and the simplicity of the malt bill and low bitterness allows the yeast and spices to shine through. The wheat aromas and flavors also compliment the yeast nicely. I wouldn't change a thing with this brew.

Tasting Notes

Sparkling yellow color with small frothy white head. Perfumy and spicy aroma, chamomile dominates, hints of coriander, straw. Medium bodied, thin textured, with lively carbonation and dry, tart finish. Flavors of wheat, chamomile, fruitiness, bubblegum, clove. Average duration, lightly sweet.

Recipe Inspired by Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing."

abbeyweiss_bottle_small.jpg

abbeyweiss_label_small.jpg

Hey, this recipe looks great, I think I might start preparing to brew it. I have a question- when you say 8 oz. Rill Hulls you mean rice hulls, right? Also, would you have considered any other grains if you did this again? Perhaps something to bump up the SRM and give it a reddish hue?

Hey, this recipe looks great, I think I might start preparing to brew it. I have a question- when you say 8 oz. Rill Hulls you mean rice hulls, right? Also, would you have considered any other grains if you did this again? Perhaps something to bump up the SRM and give it a reddish hue?

Yup, it's rice hulls...sorry...can't spell. Haven't thought too much about bumping up the SRM...if you don't want to change the malt profile, just color, maybe add a few ounces of a really darkly kilned malt. Or you might get a better reddish color and bit of carmel/malt notes with some amber/dark candi sugar, special b, or crystal 120L. The chamomile goes well with the dry finish, so if you add carmel notes you may want to use less chamomile and coriander, or even bump up the carmel flavoring and opt out with the spices altogether.

Looks like a nice brew.
I have a few Q's.

Did you keg or bottle?
How long did you condition it for?
How far in advance did you prepare the starter?
Newb question: Flame out..does that mean you added the hops after turning the flame out at the end of the boil? How long did you leave them in?
Efficiency?

Thanks

Looks like a nice brew.
I have a few Q's.

1. Did you keg or bottle?
2. How long did you condition it for?
3. How far in advance did you prepare the starter?
4. Newb question: Flame out..does that mean you added the hops after turning the flame out at the end of the boil? How long did you leave them in?
5. Efficiency?

Thanks

1. Bottled it.
2. Conditioned just long enough for it to carb, so a few weeks.
3. A few days. I start with yeast + pint of starter wort on day 1, add about 2 pints starter wort the next day, then brew with it the third day (making sure the starter is at full krausen).
4. Yes, I let the aroma hops steep in a hop bag while the wort cools to pitching temps, then I'll take the hop bag out before adding wort to the fermenter.
5. 75%.

Dude...this brew kicks ass. Everyone I have given a bottle to loves it. Even BMC drinkers love it. I have about a 6'er or so left so I am doing it again this weekend:mug:

How is this young? After drinking some zman made, it looks like I'll be making a batch on Sunday, hoping that it will be ready by 9/11. So basically, 3 weeks from grain to glass (bottle carb). I'm thinking 2 weeks of primary, maybe some gelatin to clear it, and then a week to bottle condition.

Hiya James...long time no hear...lol. I think it really depends on when you add the corriander and chamomile as to when it is ready. I add mine @ 10 min. I like how it adds to the beer when I do it this way. I recall 3-4 weeks being good. I think two weeks in the bottle is better IMO. I have a batch of it fermenting now and I will bottle it when I get back to Denver Next week If you are going to be around for the GABF, the other HBC I belong to is hosting the World Beer Forum at the Marriot by the convention center. I am either donating a keg of Abbey Weiss or an India Red Ale to the cause

Hey there, it has been awhile.
So, if my goal is to have this drinkable quickly, is it better to add the corriander and chamomile at 10 minutes? Or are you saying that takes longer to smooth out.
The World Beer Forum sounds like a good time, by the way.

Hey there, it has been awhile.
So, if my goal is to have this drinkable quickly, is it better to add the corriander and chamomile at 10 minutes? Or are you saying that takes longer to smooth out.
The World Beer Forum sounds like a good time, by the way.

it did take longer to smooth out. I accidentally did the addition @ 10 min the first time and people preferred it that way. I have to agree. I think it works better with the yeast, but that is just me.

We ended up doing ~5 days in primary, ~5 days in secondary, and in the bottle for 10 days. Served it up last night. People loved it. Barely have any left, and it looks like I'll be making this one again. And soon. And correctly. Great recipe.

I did use WLP540 Abbey IV Ale Yeast instead, which I think is the White Labs equivalent.

We ended up doing ~5 days in primary, ~5 days in secondary, and in the bottle for 10 days. Served it up last night. People loved it. Barely have any left, and it looks like I'll be making this one again. And soon. And correctly. Great recipe.

I did use WLP540 Abbey IV Ale Yeast instead, which I think is the White Labs equivalent.

Very cool. I have a batch bottle conditioning now. I agree it is very hard to keep it in stock. Even people that do not like Wheat beers like it. I wish I had the space for 10g batches.

Don't forget about the K.R.O.C WOrld Beer Forum this Thursday at the Marriott. Free food, and beer. Two really good speakers. A Raffle and Silent Auction. My friend kegged my India Red Ale for the event.

Mashing in, first repeat recipe for me. This is a great recipe, and I already have most of the batch promised to people...

The SWMBO is sipping a SWMBO Slayer (now her favorite beer) and I just opened an Abbey Weiss that I brewed on the 3rd of October. This beer is absolutely wonderful with a slight cherry nose (from the coriander?) and taste that transitions to coriander/spice then a pleasant grain/malt taste. I usually do not sniff my beer before every sip, but this one deserves some nose treatment :D.

Does anyone get a hint of licorice in this beer?

My only issue is that I am not getting the amount of carbonation I want, so will add a bit more sugar when priming next time. I also like this beer real, real cold.

Good beer! :rockin:

After all the great comments I have decided to make this my first all grain brew. I hope I dont mess it up.
I do have one question, is it better tasting to add the chamomille and choriander at 10 min or at the end of the boil?
from what I have read ten minutes is better but I just wanted to confirm.

I brewed this 3 weeks ago. I had several issues due to my new setup (new burner, kettle, new chiller, propane tank freezing resulting in low pressure ->no boil). I think my hops boiled for way too long and I get a sort of resin taste (kind of like how hops smell). I had to add water to cover up the boil **** ups. I think I added too much, my FG is 1.008. Still, I feel this will be an awesome brew once bottled/conditionned. Would brew again. :mug:

Just bottled this after 4 weeks 19 days in the primary - sort of forgot about it. Tasted a rather large "sample" and all I can say as this tasted good enough to drink directly from the bottling bucket, but I like bubbles so I carbed it up a bit more than last time, and now comes the long wait.

Made this a third time, replaced 1lb of wheat with 1lb of rye... I think it's even better.

Wanted to renew this long dead thread to say that this beer is awesome. I am making it for the 5th time tomorrow (10 gallon).

Also wanted to ask if it would be an unspeakable horror to go 50:50 wheat pils?

Back