Barley Crusher Cleaning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
I got my barley crusher a couple of weeks back and used it for the first time two weeks ago. Great product! I love it. I had read that cleaning it should be done with compressed air. I don't have that option so I had rinsed with water and then towel dried the parts. It seems I didn't dry good enough and there appears to be rouging on the roller in a few spots.

How do I get rid of that? Will it be okay if I use it as is? Are there other options for cleaning the BC without compressed air or should I leave it be in between batches?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I bought a little paintbrush from the Dollar Store. I just use that to brush off the rollers and turn the crank gently.

I don't know how to correct your issue. I've never had water near mine.

Why not shoot the barley crusher dude an email and tell him what you did?

I too use a brush after milling and hit it with compressed air every so often.

I bought a little paintbrush from the Dollar Store. I just use that to brush off the rollers and turn the crank gently.

I don't know how to correct your issue. I've never had water near mine.

+1

Who ever told you to rinse the mill with water? I would imagine that the flour would cake on creating a big mess. Get a soft wire brush and clean the rollers.

I used the sprayer at my sink. It did not cake on, it actually was quite clean afterwards. Just didn't dry as diligently as I thought. I definitely won't make this mistake again!

Thanks for the ideas! I will try to e-mail the guy and ask how to remove. I will also invest in a wire brush to clean it. And the small cans of compresed air is a really good idea...

Glad you brought this up. I am a bit leery of using water on the BC, so it's be interesting to see what the manufacturer recommends.

I had read that cleaning it should be done with compressed air. I don't have that option so I had rinsed with water and then towel dried the parts.

Use CO2 if you don't have the compressor option.

I use a large brush, never water, and twice a year the mill gets a good blow.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

+4 for compressed air! So easy.

A few drops of mineral oil on the bushings every now and then would be a good idea too.

BC Products replied to my e-mail suggesting the use of wire brush to remove the rouging.

Which I did last night and all of the spots are gone. No more water for my BC. Brush and air to clean it.

I got a used mill as part of an ebay deal; and it was so nasty I HAD to use water. I took it apart, washed everything - then baked everything but the handle in the oven at 200 until everything was dry. No rust.

-OCD

Good to hear you found a solution. I use compressed air to blow my mill clean after every use. The CO2 option is a good idea too if you don't have an air compressor. Short of those options, any vacuum with a hose would work. You can also reverse the hose on a shop vac to use as a blower and used with the crevice tool it would be nearly as effective as the compressed air. You are already onto the wire brush for removing any rust or other stubborn debris. I would suggest one of the small SS or brass brushes you can find at nearly any auto parts or hardware store. Sometimes they come in multi-packs with three different types, nylon, brass or SS bristles. I use these all the time for various home/shop chores.

In the instructions that I received with my BC, it said to use a soft paint brush. I like the idea for the can of air, too.

I have a small blower for inflating air mattresses that I use to clean off my BC. I've also used a shop-vac and even a leaf blower once, just because it was handy.

Back