my brewery build (as cheap a possible)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinmarty

Big Member
Reaction score
So it is my turn to document another electric brewery build. Budget is extremely limited so I will try to save wherever I can and sometimes the build may stall for a while but it will get done.

So here is the beginning.
We have the space allocated to me.
marking the space for sink and stand.
Base for the brew stand.

DSCF6006.jpg

DSCF6007.jpg

DSCF6011.jpg

Here is a little of the goodies I bought over the last month or so.
My best catch is the 50L Stainless Steel Turkey Fryer Pot from home hardware for 69.99. I'll get another one when I can. I'll be picking up my cooler at Walmart in williston for 25$ cheaper than in Montreal next weekend. then I'll have to order the valves and bulkheads.

DSCF6008.jpg

DSCF6009.jpg

DSCF6010.jpg

here is the latest. not finished but going with time and budget. With the lack of room for all the equipment, this stand will help with bucket and carboy storage. it is a bit high but I did want a lot of storage. next is closing it up a bit and purchasing a pump and another pot. Does anyone have experience with the pump from http://greatbreweh.com/Beer_Pump.html ?

DSCF6012.jpg

those pumps took a beating on here. . .but even if you have to jury rig fittings and stuff, they are cheap enough to tempt me despite the bad reviews. Search on here for them, pretty sure i read some bad stories.

The pump works great. The customer service took a beating, not the pumps. There were some concerns about the stainless steel fittings not being npt fittings but I have not seen anyone say they leak or have issues, including mine.

Thanks for those replies guys, told myself that it's better to ask more then less. I also found stories of people having problems but isn't that the case with any products. And the tubing they sell is also very cheap. :confused:

Integrated the mill in the stand to save as much room as possible. Old drill to drive it. Love these old Black and Decker drills they have an adjustable speed knob and you can lock the trigger.

DSCF6013.jpg

DSCF6014.jpg

rockinmarty said:
Integrated the mill in the stand to save as much room as possible. Old drill to drive it. Love these old Black and Decker drills they have an adjustable speed knob and you can lock the trigger.

Dude, that is great! Of course hundreds of us will be stealing your idea. But, nice work!

hey! I love the slide out grain mill!!! wish I would have thought of that when I built mine! well I guess I can always rebuild.... lol

Thanks MadGus it won't be as blingy as yours or Hoppos but it will be mine. now can't wait to have a little extra cash to purchase more components. However long it takes it will get done. keep us posted on your progress.:mug:

Thanks MadGus it won't be as blingy as yours or Hoppos but it will be mine. now can't wait to have a little extra cash to purchase more components. However long it takes it will get done. keep us posted on your progress.:mug:

I agree 100% While I LOVE the likes of the mega-sweet eBuilds on this site, I am pleased to say that my goofy little space is indeed just that: mine. Keep up the good work! :ban:

I know what some of you guys may say, but I decided to give it a try. Still waiting on my waterproof 2" probes. Those should be in this week.

ForumRunner_20130127_135252.jpg

What you see here only cost 56$ shipping included. You can get the relays here without heatsinks for about half that price.

Next might have found a keg at a decent price to make an hlt or kettle out of.

Thanks for doing this build in a more economical manor. I subscribed a while back and have been anxious to see your progress. Can you share the model numbers, part numbers ect from your build. I'm interested in doing an all electric build soon so I look forward to seeing how yours progresses.

Hey SteBy,
here are a couple of links.
The probes
the PID kits
the heating elements I got are 4500W camcos
The pot was bought at a local hardware store for 70$ and I might be able to get a sanke for 40$ to make my other pot.
That's it for now, when I get more I'll let you know.

Hey do you know if that PID has a manual mode to dial down and PWM at boil, and does it read in F degrees? I too am looking for cheaper options to skin the cat, but still want what I want.... :ban:

Hey do you know if that PID has a manual mode to dial down and PWM at boil, and does it read in F degrees? I too am looking for cheaper options to skin the cat, but still want what I want.... :ban:

The ones I got are in Celcius. but have not explored the functions yet. I'll look it up when I have 2 minutes.

The ones I got are in Celcius. but have not explored the functions yet. I'll look it up when I have 2 minutes.

From what I read the REX does not have a manual mode (well it didn't a about a year ago anyway). The other option I know of for a cheap PID is the Sestos, these are more inline with the Auber PID but still only read in °C and I am currently dealling with the control period acting weird under 10 secs (seems like a coding issue that anything under 10 seconds programes it for 8 seconds or 70 seconds!)

How is the stainless pot from HH? I got an aluminum one there. Not as shiny but cools the wort fast in a bucket of water

How is the stainless pot from HH? I got an aluminum one there. Not as shiny but cools the wort fast in a bucket of water

havent used it yet it's probably the same thickness as the aluminum one and it looks sturdy enough for electric. I would not use it on propane.

I was looking at the instructions and it seems that you can change the temperature unit from celcius to Fahrenheit.

Awesome, thank you very much for sharing the links! Really looking forward to getting off the stove top and gain more control.

Right now I am looking forward to doing my taxes. can't wait to get my refund so I can buy more stuff.

still trying to source an enclosure locally but I'm having trouble finding one that is deep enough and not to expensive. But I'll figure it out. I'm also waiting for my tax return to buy my missing pieces.

Exactly the spot I'm in... I don't want to spend 100$ + on a NEMA or pelican box, and the old ammo case or the carry all Husky toolbox I got for xmas last year sitting in the garage idle are looking more promising to me...

How is the stock pot from HH? Is the bottom thick enough to prevent scorching the wort (if you tried it on a gas burner)?

pourquoi ca sent LA poutine :D

For our American friends that live far from the Quebec border, poutine is a local delicacy made of fries, cheese curds and gravy.

I have a pump from greatbreweh.. price was right.. but no its not npt.. i get 2 threads tops.. not happy and there customer servi e is terriable... I bought high temp hose too but had 2 different 5 foot sections burst while rewing on the first try.. contacted them and all they did was arguee, then just ignored me..

Latest posts

Back