Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it'll be nice weather for Iowa for this time of year, I'm considering putting something on the smoker tomarrow. Maybe a whole chicken--but the thing is, I just put some chicken quarters on the grill a few minutes ago, so maybe something else. The wife ain't big on ribs, so that rules that idea out inless I cann't come up with another idea. Anybody got any ideas?

Smoke a chucky till it can be pulled, make pulled beef tacos. I love pulled beef tacos better than any pork item

Forgot to add it dont need no fancy rub. Coarse salt and pepper. I have tried it with taco seasoning for a rub and I didn't hate it.

PP sammie money shot. I shouldve chopped the slaw finer. It was a little too rustic for going on the sammie.

PPsammie.jpg

I just took 2 12 pound turkeys off the smoker for our employee Thanksgiving dinner. We have a bunch of new, young employees from across the country, for most of them this will be their first holiday away from family so we're fixing them a holiday meal

Prepping 2 turkeys tomorrow: injecting marinade of brown ale, apple juice, honey and cayenne with dry rub of brown sugar and chili powder. Can't decide whether to smoke with apple or hickory... Thoughts?

jsv1204 said:
Prepping 2 turkeys tomorrow: injecting marinade of brown ale, apple juice, honey and cayenne with dry rub of brown sugar and chili powder. Can't decide whether to smoke with apple or hickory... Thoughts?

Hickory can be a bit harsh for poultry. Go with apple or cherry over a white oak fire.

Pork or beef? Hickory for sure!

Hmmm... Got cherry, too. Maybe will save the hickory for some ribs later this weekend!

smoked cheddar today, smoked turkey tomorrow and smoked ham the next day. My smoker is going to be pooped.

Anybody ever smoke Mac and Cheese? Make it however you like it and put it in the smoker. It's like baking it in the oven but smokes the surface. Good stuff.

Anybody ever smoke Mac and Cheese? Make it however you like it and put it in the smoker. It's like baking it in the oven but smokes the surface. Good stuff.

Smoked Mac and Cheese turned out awesome. Everyone liked. I used creamy harvarti instead of gouda:

http://dadgumthatsgood.com/four-chee...-mac-n-cheese/

Four-Cheese Smoked Mac n’ Cheese

Ingredients:
1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into large chunks
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups Gouda cheese shredded
1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
Directions
1. Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 225° F.
2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup Cheddar, 1 cup Gouda cheese, Parmesan cheese, pasta, and cream sauce. Spoon mixture into an 11 by 9 ½-inch aluminum roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.
4. Place in smoker and cook 1 hour at 225° F, until brown, bubbly and delicious.

Berock said:
Smoked Mac and Cheese turned out awesome. Everyone liked. I used creamy harvarti instead of gouda:

http://dadgumthatsgood.com/four-chee...-mac-n-cheese/

Four-Cheese Smoked Mac n’ Cheese

Ingredients:
1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into large chunks
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups Gouda cheese shredded
1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
Directions
1. Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 225° F.
2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup Cheddar, 1 cup Gouda cheese, Parmesan cheese, pasta, and cream sauce. Spoon mixture into an 11 by 9 ½-inch aluminum roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.
4. Place in smoker and cook 1 hour at 225° F, until brown, bubbly and delicious.

I'm gonna do this one soon.

I smoke poultry hot and fast.

A 13lb bird at ~350*F is done in about 3-4 hours. With not much fat/collagen to break down, I don't see the point to cook a bird low and slow.

I do it moreso cause the skin actually crisps up with higher temps instead of rubber bands. They sell those at staples, not in my back yard. :mug:

I did one that way last year and it turned out perfect. Just fell right off the bone. Its not smoking if its hot and fast

True if you cook a yardbird long enough low and slow it will get there and be done. Meh. Hot n fast or indirect grilling whatever somebody defines it as... Still uses smoke if you want it to.:mug:

Gixxer said:
I do it moreso cause the skin actually crisps up with higher temps instead of rubber bands. They sell those at staples, not in my back yard. :mug:

True if you cook a yardbird long enough low and slow it will get there and be done. Meh. Hot n fast or indirect grilling whatever somebody defines it as... Still uses smoke if you want it to.:mug:

I'm with you on bird, hot and fast is the way to go. Wild bird (duck, and dove) seem to respond the best to this method.

tom_gamer said:
How long do yall smoke the turkey for?

Rule of thumb is 30-40 min per pound at 240 to 300 deg. Put two 8-lb birds in about 1 hour ago and expect to hit 165-ish mid-afternoon. We'll see!

Man... those look amazing?

Are you hunter?

No... Just like duck on occasion.

I brined those ducks in a honey maple brine along with a 20 lb turkey. The turkey just went in the oven.

We had the ducks as an appetizer. I was really happy with how everything came out. I fired up my pit for the ducks and was pretty psyched that I was able to cook something a bit more "delicate" like these ducks with it. The smoke was just right and nailed the internal temps.

I placed tin baking pans underneath and caught all of the fat. I also made a stock out of the remaining carcasses, saved some of the stock and then added the collected duck fat to the remaining stock and am simmering that down into "cherry/apple smoked duck fat".

I was able to pick off enough meat after we ate that I am going to confit it with the fat and then, maybe tomorrow, make Duck Confit Hash.

6 racks of baby backs about to go in my smoker. None of that turkey business for me this year, just good old pork!

image-403302821.jpg

Look at this thing. It's the color of a pretzel. It was juicy and tender and perfect.

image-2683871833.jpg

Here's the turkey I did today. It's a Cajun smoked turkey I used apple wood it was 12 pounds and it took 4-1/2 hours at 200 on my electric smoker ( I know electric smokers are cheating but I don't give a **** if its cheating it turned out awesome)

image-3476014314.jpg

I pulled it at about 170 in the dark meat and just under 160 in the white meat. It was on a little longer than I intended, but it didn't dry out at all. I didn't brine because I waited too long to get a fresh, non-pre-based turkey and had to use a Butterball with their pre-injected solution in it, but overall it was really good.

JonM said:
I pulled it at about 170 in the dark meat and just under 160 in the white meat. It was on a little longer than I intended, but it didn't dry out at all. I didn't brine because I waited too long to get a fresh, non-pre-based turkey and had to use a Butterball with their pre-injected solution in it, but overall it was really good.

What kind of prep did you do? What temp did you have the grill ? Im doing another one on Sunday I hope it turns out better than yesterday's.

While decorating the house today and doing some light shopping, I think I'm gonna smoke some pork tenderloins. And throw in some leftover turkey at the last minute

Rule of thumb is 30-40 min per pound at 240 to 300 deg. Put two 8-lb birds in about 1 hour ago and expect to hit 165-ish mid-afternoon. We'll see!
My ROT is 30 mins/pound at 225, I put 2 12 pounders on at 6 AM Tuesday and they were done when I got home for lunch at 1:00 PM. 165F in the thick part of the breast, I wrapped them real well in foil and let them sit on the counter for a couple of hours before I stuck them in the fridge.

It didn't suck at all...

Roasted some fingerling potatoes in the cherry-smoked duck fat with some rosemary and thyme outta the garden. Tossed in sme shredded duck and some homemade pancetta. Then tossed an egg from the coop, over-med, on top.

image.jpg

JoeyChopps said:
Here's the turkey I did today. It's a Cajun smoked turkey I used apple wood it was 12 pounds and it took 4-1/2 hours at 200 on my electric smoker ( I know electric smokers are cheating but I don't give a **** if its cheating it turned out awesome)

I ain't mad at ya for your heat source as long as you use real wood for smoke and not some chemical crap.

I didn't smoke anything this year. No deep fryer either. Trying out sous vide. Pork tenderloin on Thanksgiving day and beef tenderloin today.

Marinaded some pork loins and threw them in the smoker. Should be all set by 2 for some afternoon 'noms!

It didn't suck at all...

Roasted some fingerling potatoes in the cherry-smoked duck fat with some rosemary and thyme outta the garden. Tossed in sme shredded duck and some homemade pancetta. Then tossed an egg from the coop, over-med, on top.

These are a few of my favorite things....hope you had a good brew with it!:mug:

Got a choice chuck roast on the smoker and a pork butt. We'll have sliced beef tonight and, just for fun, I'll cut off the money muscle from the pork butt and slice it into some little medallions to go with the beef.

Then I'll pull the rest of the pork and freeze it and make a beef stew with the rest of the beef and some dry stout.

Back