Brown Sugar in Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stir mine in at the last 10 minutes of the boil to sterilize. Just be sure to stir it well so it doesn't sit on the bottom of the pot and burn.

Agree, so far every recipe I've brewed that called for brown sugar wanted it added in the last 5-10min.

Not sure if that was a joke or not, but just in case you have it backward. No, sugar won't sterilize boiling wort, but boiling wort WILL sterilize sugar.

Add brown sugar at flameout. Anything over 160F will pastuerize/sterilize the sugar, and you DO NOT want to add sugars during the boil with the burner on, because you WILL burn it and caramelize some of it unless you stir like a maniac, which again is not advised with a boil going. There's a reason you never add DME/LME with the burner on, and sugar falls into the same category.

There are ZERO advantages to adding sugar to the boil and alot that can go wrong, so just add brown sugar at flameout and stir it in until completely dissolved!!

Back