Thanksgiving Beer Pairings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going with some sours and and I'm on the fence about a few others.
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Homebrew Saison (Sorachi)
Lindemann's Pomme

What's everyone doing?

With a Thanksgiving style meal (heavy, and not course-dependent), I would agree with some sours (to complement high starches).

For anything else, I'd hate to be a country-whore, but you can't go wrong with Belgians. With most of them finishing so dry, they will tend to be less filling. Saisons and Pales (I'm going with Orval!) will do excellent.

Brooklyn Local 1 was a massive hit at last years dinner. Even the winos thought it was a perfect paring with the meal.

Thanksgiving beer pairings. Let's see:

Turkey and beer Good
Dressing and beer Good
Sweet potatoes and beer Good
Cranberries and beer Good
Green bean casserole and beer Good
Pumpkin pie and beer Good

Later....

Turkey sandwiches and beer Good
More pumpkin pie and beer Good

Okay, I think that about covers it. Thanksgiving is good when paired with beer. :mug:

I like a good hefeweizen or dunkelweizen, although the high carbonation doesn't exactly get comfortable with a belly full of food.

My favorite, though, is for somewhat sentimental reasons, even though it was Christmas. We went over to my Aunt and Uncle's house. They are big wine drinkers with an extensive and excellent cellar, but they know almost diddly squat about beer. They know I like beer, though, and they wanted to indulge me. When we arrived, my Uncle said "I went to [the store] and asked them what I should get."

I thought I was certain to find some sort of Shiner Bock or ca-ca beer. Instead, when he led me over to the bar sink, it was full of ice and Samuel Smith Imperial Stout. Oh, yeah. When I showed my wife, she shared my sentiment. Since then, it's been my favorite holiday beer.

TL

+1 on the wine. A nice woody old vine Zin. As far as beer; Bornem makes a good Dubbel. Sam Smith's Stouts. That "Mississippi Mud" might go great with dessert. Maybe a nice barleywine for after dinner.....
Me personally? I've got a honey dubbel I'm trying not to devour.....it's so good! Maybe I'll go to BevMo and pick something up.

Back