Anybody have a recipe for figs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this.

This was the second mead for me, it's been bottled for a month or two now. It's very floral, I think it might have some off flavors that i don't know were came from, but i'm hoping it will mellow out over time. It's certainly not a sweet mead, but its fairly easy drinking.

Honey: 1 gallon of wildflower honey Water: Enough tap water to make 5 total gallons, no heat Yeast: EC-1118 into 1 gallon of apple juice for a starter Fermenting: 3-4months primary 4 months secondary, then bottled. All at florida room temperature (76-82)

When racking into the secondary I added 1.5lbs of mashed fig, and 5 fresh Tahitian vanilla beans. I didn't freeze or soak any of it in vodka. I pretty much left it in the secondary until i needed the better bottle for another brew :)

From what I have heard: Both Figs and Rasins don't have much flavor and wont contribute much flavor but it will contribute some really good mouthfeel. So it will be a bit thicker than normal. So don't expect much rasin or fig flavor. This is from someone that did a 8 pound figs and 5 pounds rasins, splitting in half from primary and secondary, but it was an in your face mouthfeel. So that is on the extreme end.

Just what I heard.

Matrix

I have a fig tree that grows in my backyard. The guy I bought my house from said it was his grandfathers from Italy. Last year I got about 2 quart ziplock bags full of figs and froze them and waited till the second harvest but didn't get much on the second from wasps and half of the tree being cut down. I don't remember the exact amount of honey I used (it's written at home) but I would guess around 3 pounds a gallon (i did a 3 gallon batch). I warmed up the honey in 2 gallons of water or so, added the frozen figs, filled up to about 3.2 gallons and let sit for a night, added yeast lavlin Champagne yeast the next day. Racked into 3 gallon carboy letting the fruit in the primary, let sit over winter, racked again to get rid of the seeds, then bottled early this year. I bottled in beer bottle because we only did a 3 gallon batch and wanted more to hand out. It definitely adds a good flavor and I was very happy with the outcome (minus a bottle that must have went bad due to being capped and not corked). Everyone I gave a bottle to loved it as well. Fresh figs are some of the best fruit I've ever had as well, in case you've never tried any. If anyone is interested I can post the exact recipe I used later tonight.

Back