Twang no thang-blue moon clone--feedback please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
Yeah, the name is kind of stupid but also to the point. I'm hoping the sorghum "twang" either is hidden by the citrus or compliments it. This is based on Lcasanova's blood orange and also AHS blue moon clone. My main question is the hops--should I add an extra .5oz? I know gluten free handles hops well. Should I thrown orange wedges in too or just the peel?

I am brewing this Friday afternoon.

5 gallon batch

6lbs Sorghum
1 1/2 lbs Brown Rice Syrup
2 lbs Dark Brown Sugar
8oz Amaranth (boiled and then soaked) prior to the actual boil

60 min 8oz maltodextrine
45 Mins .5oz Cascade
15 Mins .5oz cascade
45 mins 8 orange peels
15 mins 1 TBSP coriander

Yeast S04 or S05, depends on what I have available.

Are you using fresh orange peel or dried? If fresh, I'd recommend adding at flame-out, rather than in the boil; that will keep the aromatic essential oils from being blown off.

Also--more hops, definitely! My calculations put you at a mere 12.1 IBU's, as this is a high-gravity recipe. I suspect you'll want more than that. Personally, I'd probably drop the gravity down closer to style, like 1.054 or so, and also double the flavor hops. That'll put the IBU's up to about 20, which is still style-appropriate, and the extra flavor addition of cascade will really bring in the citrus flavors. If you want to keep it high-gravity, then I'd say move the bittering addition back to 60 min, and double the flavor addition.

Also, why not use Danstar Munich or Safbrew WB-06, if you're going for a wheat-beer style? Yeast is very important in those styles. US-05 will probably be waaay too clean/neutral.

Well...the yeast comes down to what I can get at the local store. But I will look for those!

Here is what I now have:
5 gallon batch

3lbs Sorghum
1 1/2 lbs Brown Rice Syrup
1lbs 8oz Dark Brown Sugar
8oz Amaranth (boiled and then soaked) prior to the actual boil

60 min 8oz maltodextrine
45 Mins 1oz Cascade
15 Mins .5oz cascade
15 mins 8 fresh orange peels
15 mins 1 TBSP coriander

I doubled the flavor hops and knocked 1/2lb of sugar plus 3lbs of sorghum off to lower the OG. The orange peels are fresh so I'll put them in the last 15 minutes. I might make an orange extract and add that during bottling.

As Igliashon said, if you can get the WB-06 I would. I've had great success with that yeast. I'd also recommend Amarillo addition if you like the citrus flavors.

Er...looks like you doubled the bittering hops, not the flavor hops (sorry, I should've used more single-denotative language). 0.5 oz at 45, 1 oz at 15.

Also, FWIW, when I brewed my grapefruit IPA, I did a 3-gallon batch with the zest of half a grapefruit at flame-out, and it came out perfectly, with assertive grapefruit character that wasn't quite over-the-top. The peels of 8 fresh oranges might quite possibly be over-powering; I'd back it off by half, and add right at flame-out. FWIW, I got my guidance on citrus zest from Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing", if that lends any more credence to my flame-out suggestion. Otherwise, it should be good!

okay, brewed this today. I altered the hops per Igliashon's suggestion. I added the zest from 3 oranges at flameout. The reason I had originally done 8 orange peels was, I believe, spaced's recipe that he said was quite popular and had 8 orange peels. I really wanted the orange flavor so I went with 3 oranges for the zest instead of 1. The hydrometer sample had no flavor of orange though so I think I will make orange extract and try the hydometer sample at bottling and if there is still no orange I'll pour that in.
The OG was 1.076.

This was the first time I added sorghum at flame out and all of it seemed to go right to the bottom and stick to the pot. I stirred it when I poured it in but there was A LOT stuck at the bottom. Has this happened to anyone else? Is using half of the sorghum at flame out a proven way to reduce twang or just a theory?

Bottled this morning...after I racked it to secondary I poured in 1oz of orange extract I made. This tasted great at bottling...so great that I poured a glass of flat beer, put an orange slice in it and enjoyed it with my lunch. I can't wait to see what this is like in 2-3 weeks.

It's always a good sign when you can sit down with the warm flat beer right out of the fermenter and enjoy it! Pretty much guaranteed success at that point, it'll only improve!

This really looks like a nice recipe, I've been trying to compliment the sorghum twang with my hop additions, but this takes that idea to another level.

Let us know how it turns out!

BTW, When I add sorghum it is so thick I have to boost the temp before to prevent my boil from stopping when I add it, and that's with soaking the jars in hot water before hand to thin the syrup some.

I don't know that I would add it EXACTLY at flame out. Maybe add it, stir and then shut off the heat.

Back