I'm pretty sure my first batch is ruined....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_darling

Reaction score
I boiled up the wort on saturday night and after it was cooled i added yeast and stored it. I checked on it the next day and the airlock was bubbling away. by the end of that night (sunday night) there was no airlock activity at all. I checked it this morning and still nothing....

did i do something wrong? could this batch still be saved? any help would be appreciated!

andrew

It could be that you just had a fast fermentation. Don't panic. I would bet that even if there is somthing wrong, it's by no means ruined. Take hydrometer reading two or three days in a row to see if there is really any activity going. If you gravity is down where its supposed to be you can just be patient and trasfer to secondarry or bottles when the time comes. If there is no change in reading, but you're not where you want to be, let us know and we'll help you from there.

good luck!!

No need to worry there - let er sit for about 5 days and take a hydrometer reading. As long as you are withing a god temp range you should be fine. Airlocks are not the best indication of fermentation - always rely on the hydrometer - it doesnt lie (unless its broken) :)

get a hydrometer and test it now.

how warm is the room you fermented in? high temps = fast fermentation.

i just took a hydrometer reading and i'm at 1.020, i'll take readings the next 3 days just to make sure. the recipe i have says i have a finished gravity of 1.012 or less so i still have a little bit to go. smells really good, can't wait to have a sip.

take a sample out when you take the reading (don't put it back in!) and drink that. you'll see how it's coming along. i'd say no matter what, you're beer isn't finished...you don't need to take readings every day...let it sit for at least a week.

What kind of yeast did you use?

I've had batches ferment out in 36 hours...especially with dry yeasts.

If your gravity doesn't drop from 1.020, or is dropping excruciatingly slow, give the yeast cake on the bottom a gently swirl with your racking can to wake it up a bit.

Do you know your starting gravity? What was the recipe?

i'm def not going to check it until a week is up, i don't want to risk getting anything in the bucket.

the recipe i used is:

5 gallon batch
6lbs. english dark extract
1/2 oz. perle hops (first flavoring)
1 oz perle hops (second flavoring)
1/4 oz fuggle (aromatic)

so its a lower gravity beer...it will ferment fairly quickly with plenty of yeast, aeration and proper temps.

I'd be willing to bet real money that your beer is fine and you just need a dose of patience :) (it took me YEARS to learn patience with brewing, and I still have my moments)

Back