Do dings in kettle affect all-grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saintdog327

Reaction score
Hello!

I have an opportunity to buy a large 10 gallon kettle for cheap but the only trade off is that the bottom of it has some scratches / dings. I'm using it for allgrain and would like to know if these would dramatically affect my wort while boiling / could it infect the beer in some way?!

Thank you,
Saintdog

boiling sanitizes everything. unless its almost destroyed, a few dings wont effect it in any way.

Are the dings on the inside or outside? Post a pic.

Most likely nothing to worry about though.

first image is the inside of the pot, not so many dings just a little bit pitted. Second is the lid.

Screen shot 2012-01-17 at 3.37.24 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2012-01-17 at 3.36.39 PM.jpg

That looks like an old aluminum pot of good quality. You could scrub it real clean and then boil some water to re-oxidize it if you would like it to look a bit better. Or just clean it real well and use it. Most old aluminum pots look like that andare fine to use IMO.

"440" is a stainless steel designation, its not aluminum.

its definately a well-used pot, but it should be ok to use just like it is, or you could take some 200-400 grit sandpaper and smooth out some of the scratches. after you sand it, put some Barkeepers Friend (oxacilic acid) in there for a few hours to reform the passive surface layer. it will be as good as new.

"440" is a stainless steel designation, its not aluminum.

its definately a well-used pot, but it should be ok to use just like it is, or you could take some 200-400 grit sandpaper and smooth out some of the scratches. after you sand it, put some Barkeepers Friend (oxacilic acid) in there for a few hours to reform the passive surface layer. it will be as good as new.

While I am not against using BKF... a few hours is extremely excessive. Stainless will repassivate almost instantaneously with just air.

But yes, clean it well with BKF. Don't need to soak it though.

Back