Loquat (Japanese Plum) Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewerone

Reaction score
How To Make Loquat (Japanese Plum) Wine By Damian Perrin Makes a 3 gallon Batch Ingredients 6 ½ lbs Japanese Plums 7.5 Fermenting Pale 3-gallon Carboy Airlock ¾ TBS Wine Tannin 5 TBS Acid Blend ¼ TBS Pectin Enzyme ¼ TBS Sodium Metasulfite 7 lbs. Cane Sugar (14 cups) 1 lb Pure Honey 1 yeast packet

Day 1 In Fermenting pale (Primary Fermentation), add plums, wine tannin, acid blend, pectin enzyme, and sodium metasulfite. Then add enough water to cover plums. Cover pale with towel.

Day 2 Add sugar, honey, and yeast packet. Then add water to the 4-gallon mark. If you have a wine acid test kit (recommended), test the acid in the wine. My batch was .625% Tartaric acid. You should be looking for a range between .60 - .65%. If you have a refractometer (optional), test the approx. alcohol percentage that can be produced. My batch was 23.1 Brix, which can produce 13.5% alcohol.

Days 2 through 8 stir daily for 1 minute. Day 8 Remove plums from wine and discard. Rack (siphon) wine into 3-gallon carboy (Secondary Fermentation). Fit with airlock. Rack every 30 days for 3 months, a total of 3 times. Wine should clear. Bottle wine and store for one year.

Adding Bentonite at the beginning of fermentation will cut down on the amount of times you need to rack. Wine will clear faster. I started drinking this wine after a month. Wine was completely clear.

How's the flavor in this wine? I have about 7 huge loquat trees around my yard and it kills me every year to let so much of the fruit drop. I think I'll have to try this next spring when they're ripe.

Rob_B said:
How's the flavor in this wine? I have about 7 huge loquat trees around my yard and it kills me every year to let so much of the fruit drop. I think I'll have to try this next spring when they're ripe.

It is amazing. It tastes a lot like a Chardonnay. Probably one of my best wines. It didn't last 2 months. I had to hide some from myself.

Last year was horrible for loquats here. I hope they do better this year! The dried leaves make an excellent tea. They're also a natural expectorant.

Yeah, my loquats were looking good but then between the birds, squirrels and all I barely got to taste one. It was the same last season too. One of these years I'll get to give it a shot.

Rob_B said:
Yeah, my loquats were looking good but then between the birds, squirrels and all I barely got to taste one. It was the same last season too. One of these years I'll get to give it a shot.

Well I'm glad the photo with that last post didn't upload, that woulda been pure mean. Yea, birds not so much, maybe here and there, squirrels, well we have recipes for those. If you're near savannah I'll give you 10 gallons, lol

liquiditynerd said:
Well I'm glad the photo with that last post didn't upload, that woulda been pure mean. Yea, birds not so much, maybe here and there, squirrels, well we have recipes for those. If you're near savannah I'll give you 10 gallons, lol

Yeah, I just passed through that area the other day. Was in Charleston and the loquats there were looking good, some ripe most not.

I think I'll just hold off until my own fruit are ready to work with. Have so many trees but they are the tallest I've ever seen and hard to harvest. They've been reaching beyond all our live oaks to get some sun. My dog on the otter hand has had her fill this season with all the ones that've dropped to the ground. Been doing her part to spread some seed!

I want to try this recipe. My neighbors have a large loquat tree that overhangs in my yard. Therefore I get x amount of loquats every season.. lol

I'm going to plant a couple seeds this year so hopefully I can grow one of my own, soon. This year I only got a couple dozen or so before the squirrels got to the rest of them so maybe next year. :)

Kdog22 said:
I want to try this recipe. My neighbors have a large loquat tree that overhangs in my yard. Therefore I get x amount of loquats every season.. lol

I'm going to plant a couple seeds this year so hopefully I can grow one of my own, soon. This year I only got a couple dozen or so before the squirrels got to the rest of them so maybe next year. :)

You could plant a seed on the moon and it'll prolly grow! We do" thin the herd" every fall, gotta keep em in check. There are also two different families of owls, two hawks, and a falcon nearby to help out. Do your neighbors let you pick from their yard? My friends yard smells like a distillery if we don't pick it clean and it attracts flies and hornets.

I'm going to make a batch of something like this this weekend. The fruit is coming around in the neighbors yard and plenty to be had on my side of the fence, so I should use it since they don't even touch them. I was thinking about asking if I could go into their yards to get to them because it seems such a shame to waste such delicious fruit. My method will differ slightly in that I plan on juicing the loquats with my steam juicer, testing the SG, then adding sugar from there depending on what I want. Gotta go pick up some acid blend tomorrow and maybe some energizer and I'll be ready to go. Already picked 6 pounds in 10 minutes, which should be almost enough juice to get a gallon fermenting. I plan on picking as many as I can anyway and then just freezing the juice. On another note, the apple tree is already starting to look really good. More graff is in the future... perhaps loquat apple graff?

Hell yeah, good call on the juicing. the wieght may vary though because the seeds are fairly large and they have alot of pulp. I have a couple batches going now, a couple huge bags in the freezer, and a tree to finish picking. Love this time of year, bleuberries are next! awwww yeah, bleuberry mead up in this...

image-1882807857.jpg

Here are a few batch of Japanese Plum wine.

Attachments

• image-3735762134.jpg
    image-3735762134.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 440
  • image-1452986572.jpg
    image-1452986572.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 533
Just a few...! Very nice. Look at all that beautiful fruit. What a gorgeous sight to behold.

Brewerone said:
30 days after starting Japanese Plum wine. Just racked it, degased it, & added super clear to it.

image-2765973647.jpg

Awesome, I'm ready to bottle the first, and squash the second. Fun times, eh?

Brewerone said:
That's clearing up nicely. How long has it been sitting?

Just one week from transfer must bucket to carboy. I have neglected it a bit, we have a lot going on, it needs to be in bottles this week no matter what. Actually I'd like it to be gone this week but that's a lot of wine.

I'm gonna have to leave the other must and the bag of frozens in my must bucket with a friend. I shoulda did like you and started them all!

So maybe a silly question but, you add the plums to the bucket whole? Do you mash them or anything? I’ve been brewing beer for years but just considering trying wine and I have a huge loquat tree in my front yard that does nothing but feed the birds and squirrels. This sounds like fun.

Split them and remove the seeds at least. Freeze them, thaw them and squash them to release more juice. Add pectinase in the must. Not sure about the skins on these.

Comment to find this later but also wondered why not more fruit vs more sugar? Does the fruit become too overbearing? I have a neighbor who gave me some to make jam out of, but for the work I prefer Pindo...But I thought to give it a go if it is like a Chardonay.

The acid levels would need to be checked or adjusted with fruit, that’s why most recipes range from 2-6lbs per gallon depending on the fruit.

Good to know, I'll be giving this a try!
Already this year I have made over 26 gallons of my loquat tree it is magnificent I did not put any chemical in mine I used a loquat goodcleanwater plenty of sugar like 7 pounds of sugar to 6 gallons my yeast and let it go away it worked out well nice and clear I have found that is kind of a greenish colored because I pick my berries a little Greener I wanted them to have the sweet sour taste and wished it came out perfect I put I much raipur which turned out more of a yellowish clear color I get in again 7 lb of sugar with my yeast only the chemical just before I bottle and add one pound of sugar before I bottle and it is magnificent

How To Make Loquat (Japanese Plum) Wine By Damian Perrin Makes a 3 gallon Batch Ingredients 6 ½ lbs Japanese Plums 7.5 Fermenting Pale 3-gallon Carboy Airlock ¾ TBS Wine Tannin 5 TBS Acid Blend ¼ TBS Pectin Enzyme ¼ TBS Sodium Metasulfite 7 lbs. Cane Sugar (14 cups) 1 lb Pure Honey 1 yeast packet

Day 1 In Fermenting pale (Primary Fermentation), add plums, wine tannin, acid blend, pectin enzyme, and sodium metasulfite. Then add enough water to cover plums. Cover pale with towel.

Day 2 Add sugar, honey, and yeast packet. Then add water to the 4-gallon mark. If you have a wine acid test kit (recommended), test the acid in the wine. My batch was .625% Tartaric acid. You should be looking for a range between .60 - .65%. If you have a refractometer (optional), test the approx. alcohol percentage that can be produced. My batch was 23.1 Brix, which can produce 13.5% alcohol.

Days 2 through 8 stir daily for 1 minute. Day 8 Remove plums from wine and discard. Rack (siphon) wine into 3-gallon carboy (Secondary Fermentation). Fit with airlock. Rack every 30 days for 3 months, a total of 3 times. Wine should clear. Bottle wine and store for one year.

Adding Bentonite at the beginning of fermentation will cut down on the amount of times you need to rack. Wine will clear faster. I started drinking this wine after a month. Wine was completely clear.
Did you add the fruit whole or did you cut out the massive seed first?

Back