Which brewstand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
I'm kind of at a fork in the road as to which stand I should buy. I will not be building my own, as I don't have time, patience, etc. So those posts are not needed.

I am stuck between the Blichmann top tier:
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Top-Tier-Stand-%2d-Three-Burner.html

or

Stainless steel stand from these guys:
http://www.brewersequipment.com/New Brew Stands.html

I already have a pump, plate chiller, etc. So when I add all the mounts, for my equipment to each, they come out to right around the same price. I am leaning more towards the blichmann, that way I can gravity feed my sparge water, and use my pump strictly for re circulation during direct firing the MLT. Also, the fact that the SS one has the gas build into the frame concerns me, as I may want to drill into it to add on stuff. I just wanted to get some info from you guys, or if you know of any other stands out there. Also, is it absolutely necessary to get a SS stand, or will mild steel be fine. I don't want a stand that will be rusty, corroded and compromised (structurally) in a couple of years.

Me personally I would get the single tier non SS stand for $550. The gas should only be built into that 1 bar, not the whole stand so you have other options on where to mount stuff. Then you can spend the extra $$$ on equipment or of course BEER!!!!

If you have a pump, wouldn't you rather have a single tier stand where you can stand on the ground and look into your pots, instead of a Top Tier, where you have to brew on a ladder? The Top Tier is designed to be gravity fed, if you have the pump and don't need to gravity feed, just go for the single tier.

Personally, I would get the 2 tier from brewers equipment as in I could do everything I needed to do with only one pump. I would need two pumps for the single tier.

I currently use a modified version of this one if you want to go cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00264G584/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

A little spray paint once in a while goes a long ways on even cheap steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
me personally i would get the single tier non ss stand for $550. The gas should only be built into that 1 bar, not the whole stand so you have other options on where to mount stuff. Then you can spend the extra $$$ on equipment or of course beer!!!!

+1

how well does the mild steel hold up to high temps, wear and tear? If you paint it with high temp paint, will that burn off too?

Very little of it is exposed to high temps.
On those, it doesn't look like there is any steel that is in the path of the flame.

If stored outdoors, the burners themselves will rust out before anything else and will need to be replaced in either case.
If the paint deteriorates on the frame, you can use a can of cold galvanized primer on it after brushing off the rust, then repaint. That will keep it looking new for years for about $15 and an hour worth of your time.

I think there are some high temp enamel paints that can be used. Finding them might be a problem, but they do exists. There are high temp applications that need them (ovens for instance need a 500-600 degree paint to take the broiling temp). Although propane flame can get to what 700-800? Anyhow if you look, I think you can find a paint.

Although propane flame can get to what 700-800?

More like closer to 3,600*F under ideal conditions from what I've read. Our rather inefficient turkey fryer type burners probably only reach about 75-80%
of the optimum, but that would still be something on the order of 2,700*F. For comparison, a candle flame can exceed 1,000*F.

I was making the exact same decision earlier this year and chose to go with the Top Tier. Although I think the single tier systems are much sexier, I was impressed with what I read about the burners on the Top Tier and I thought I would like the flexibility to change my setup with the Top Tier. Either way, I'm sure the brewstand would be great but I have not regretted getting the Top Tier for one second.

I'm kind of at a fork in the road as to which stand I should buy. I will not be building my own, as I don't have time, patience, etc. So those posts are not needed.

I am stuck between the Blichmann top tier:
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Top-Tier-Stand-%2d-Three-Burner.html

or

Stainless steel stand from these guys:
http://www.brewersequipment.com/New Brew Stands.html

I already have a pump, plate chiller, etc. So when I add all the mounts, for my equipment to each, they come out to right around the same price. I am leaning more towards the blichmann, that way I can gravity feed my sparge water, and use my pump strictly for re circulation during direct firing the MLT. Also, the fact that the SS one has the gas build into the frame concerns me, as I may want to drill into it to add on stuff. I just wanted to get some info from you guys, or if you know of any other stands out there. Also, is it absolutely necessary to get a SS stand, or will mild steel be fine. I don't want a stand that will be rusty, corroded and compromised (structurally) in a couple of years.

i looked at the brewersequipment.com stands and the blichmann too. having the gravity option, a smaller footprint and the ability to take it apart for storage were some of the considerations that pushed me to order a blichmann 2 burner yesterday. i hope it was a good choice.

Latest posts

Back