Stone Ruination Clone.....will it fit????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naderchaser

Reaction score
Hi all!! Long time lurker, new to posting here. I've got a new 5gal AG system from Northern Brewer that i'm getting ready to break in. I want to do a Stone Ruination clone with a kit from AHBS.
The grain bill on this kit is ~13lbs. Without having used this system yet, will this grain bill fit in my 5gal AG setup?

What is the "biggest" beer I can fit comfortably in my 5gal baby setup? Thanks for the help. Cheers!

When you say "5gal AG system" what exactly are you referring to? I went to their site and didn't see anything matching that exact description.

A 10gal round mash tun will hold > 17lbs of grain + mash water.

Check out Green Bay Rackers

They say you'll need 5.1 gallons for 13 lbs of grain. You'll never make it. I bet you'll blow up trying. Anyway, looks like it'll be tight but it will work out alright.

Don't forget your safety glasses if you will potentially explode.

When you say "5gal AG system" what exactly are you referring to? I went to their site and didn't see anything matching that exact description.

A 10gal round mash tun will hold > 17lbs of grain + mash water.

Sorry if my post was a bit vague. This is what I have:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...equipment/deluxe-ags/deluxe-ags-5-gallon.html

I'm really looking to get a "bigger" IPA going, but i'm starting to think that my 5gal MLT is not going to cut the bill. What would you suggest as far as a bigger IPA, that will fit in this MLT? Or even a lower gravity, smaller IPA. Just looking for input, and what I can fit in this thing, as this is going to be my first batch with it.
Thanks in advance.

Sorry if my post was a bit vague. This is what I have:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...equipment/deluxe-ags/deluxe-ags-5-gallon.html

I'm really looking to get a "bigger" IPA going, but i'm starting to think that my 5gal MLT is not going to cut the bill. What would you suggest as far as a bigger IPA, that will fit in this MLT? Or even a lower gravity, smaller IPA. Just looking for input, and what I can fit in this thing, as this is going to be my first batch with it.
Thanks in advance.

Your 5 gallon MLT will not hold that much grain and water. I would recommend a 10 gallon mash tun.

13lbs of grain * 1.25 = 16.25 quarts of water or 4.0625 gallons. It would be close but I don't think it will work.

I say it will fit. So does Northern Brewer.

"Five-gallon all grain system with mash/lauter tun and hot liquor tank. Capable of mashing and lautering enough grist for a five-gallon batch of even a fairly heavy beer — it maxes out at about 15 pounds. "

13.1<15 It's going to be a squeeze, but you'll be fine.

You could always go a little lighter on your water to grain ratio. It might affect efficiency a little, but it will still make beer. Just take a pre boil gravity reading and bump up the gravity with some light dme if needed.

13 pounds is also my max with my 5 gallon igloo. It's a very tight fit, so if you miss the mash temp and have to add hot/cold water, it won't work. You can't really do a beer "bigger" than an OG of about 1.060ish in a 5 gallon MLT.

I can fit 24 pounds of grain in my 10 gallon igloo MLT.

Don't believe the nay-sayers...13lb is no problem. Just adjust your mash thickness down. Anything above 1 is fine, that's probably how NB ended up with their 15lb estimation, comes out to 19.8qts total at a 1:1 ratio.

I know it's a kit, but make sure to mash low, oxygenate, and pitch an appropriate amount of healthy yeast. A good IPA, in my opinion needs good attenuation so that the hops can shine through. Get that IPA going! :mug:

I have done a 17.5 lb brew in my 5gal mash tun, but I had to use like a .8 ratio and it was super thick and sucked to work with. I also pulled off extra wort and boiled down to make up for the lower efficency.

Thanks for all the replies. At first I was thinking that I could accomodate the large grain bill by simply doing a thicker mash (1qt/lb or less?) but then conversion comes into play, and got me worrying that I wouldn't get full conversion.
If NB says that it maxes out at 15lbs, then I should, in theory, be able to mash around 13lbs.....albeit in a very confined space. Just gotta make sure I hit the strike temp...and keep it there.
Anybody have any good clone recipies (IPA's) for a larger grain bill that has worked for them in a 5gal MLT?
Thanks!! :)

Mash in two batches, probably get better efficiency, although it will take a bit longer. And then go out and buy a bigger Mash Tun for the next time.

Latest posts

Back