Bulk Storage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mundellm

Reaction score
Well I'm no longer a newbie... I made my fist batch. Actually 2..anyhow

I used UV paterusized cider. I did not add Campden. I plan on making 27 gallons. (3 5's and 2 6's). I'm not going to bottle everything all at once. Anyhow, I'm eventually going to bottle some for long term storage to see how it mellows after 9 months and back sweeten the rest to drink right away. I plan on letting it sit the carboys until I bottle. Should I add the campden and sorbate now? Since its going to be sitting in multiple carboys for the next 6 to 9 months. I dont plan to back sweeten until I bottle.

Thanks in advance

I'd recommend a half dose of k-meta after fermentation stops, if you want to save it for more than 6 months. Taste the sorbate to make sure you are OK with that taste in you cider before using sorbate

So k-meta and sorbate it ...then let it sit. Do you give the full sorbate and the half dose k-meta?

Also.. would it make a difference in the amount of sorbate and/or k-meta if it was wine or ale yeast?

Personally, I wouldnt sorbate, I'd cold crash. If I sorbated, I'd taste it first and use a half dose of k-meta if its got a lot of acidity and a full dose of k-meta if not. Full dose of sorbate, adding the k-meta first and the sorbate about an hour later. Adding the sorbate will likely cause some sediment drop, in which case I'd likely rack again 24-48 hours after the sorbate.

Back