Triple with a twist... maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreekBrewery

Reaction score
As this is my first post I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience. I've been reading posts old and new, studying like it was my college final exam. I started out making a few kits and I just made my first nonkit beer, a Belgian Wit. I saved and washed the yeast, Wyeast 3944, and was hoping to reuse it. The Wyeast website says this yeast can also be used for a triple so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on this bad boy, here is my info from BeerSmith.

Type: Partial Mash Date: 7/26/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.82 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 57.14 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 24.49 %
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 2.04 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (30 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 16.33 %
1 Pkgs
Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944)
[Starter 500 ml]
Yeast-
Wheat

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.093 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.19 %
Bitterness: 26.1 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 5.6 SRM

The FG seems a bit high from what I understand of triples. I was planning on adding the sugar in steps starting at high Kreusen like I've read about on HBT. Could I add some yeast nutrient with each sugar injection to help with attenuation?

Thanks for your help!

If you're using clear candi sugar, I'd say ditch it and just use plain table sugar. Adding it in while fermenting is fine, and will help the beer dry out well. If you're a stickler for style and worrying about numbers, it might be high for a Tripel, but I don't think it has any issues. I would ditch the coriander and just let the yeast do its work on this. I'd suggest more than a 500ml starter. Something closer to a liter or 1.5 liters would be better for a 1.093 beer. Of course, you're not starting at 1.093, so that might be ok.

I say go for it. Nothing looks too out of place. It'll be a Belgian Golden Strong if you can't call it a Tripel. It'll be good, though.

Thanks for the sugar tip. Does anyone know if adding yeast nutrient with the sugar injections will work? Will this help with the attenuation or is it a waste of time?

Creek, how do you plan on adding the sugar? Do you boil it in a small amount of water and pour it into the fermentor or just pour the sugar directly in?

Yes, boil a little water then add in the sugar. I planned on doing the sugar in three parts to even things out, let the beasties eat slow. My idea was to add a little yeast nutrient in with each sugar injection thinking this may help the attenuation. I'm hoping someone else may have tried this and can give some feedback.

stepped sugar additions will help the yeast attenuate more fully. This is the directions from white labs regarding getting the wlp099 super high gravity ale yeast to have a tolerance of 20+%.

IMO you don't really need to dissolve it in boiled water, but do what you want.

I've read others saying that they dissolve it which sounded reasonable. z987k, do you just dump in the dry sugar and give the whole thing a good, but gentle so you don't aerate, stirring? This may be one of those there is no "right" way to do it but I'm always interested in different methods.

I just dump it in, the yeast will take care of it. Just like with mead, you can't get the honey properly dissolved in water without overheating it, yet the yeast still manage to get at it all.

Back