Good deal on 2-row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
CL has a listing for "great western" 2-row for .66 a pound. Selling in 50lb bags; so its $33 a bag.

good deal?
good grain?

I really dont know about this stuff Im just getting started on AG stuff here soon

So, either this is a really good deal and people are looking to buy it or its a dumb question

That's about right for that base malt. I've seen it around $35 for a sack. I use that and the Great Western Pale Ale malt.

BTW, if you are in Portland, Great Western is located in Vancouver, WA.

Good grain and a good price. Many of the local breweries use Great Western 2-row as their base malt. Local Home Brew Shops in Portland sell it for between $42-$48 per 50lb bag. What is shipping going to cost you?

I think he's talking about the CL ad from the guys at Brew Brothers - Homepage

Brew Brothers - Malt by the Bag

2 row at $33/ 50# bag, you pick up or they'll deliver with a big enough order. I haven't ordered through them but plan on at least giving em a shot at some point...

Does great western sell individual bags to consumers, or are they a by the pallet only place?

I get Great Western 2-Row for $32.25 per 50 lb bag at Morebeer in Riverside CA. They knock off another 10% of total for brewclub members. Can't beat it.

CL= craigslist, sorry about that. I could pick it up, no shipping.

Another question; I really dont have the set-up for AG brews yet. could these grains be used for steeping? I remember reading that steeping grains are diff from base grains cause they dont produce fermentable sugars. right?

thanks again

No - only mashing - it's a base malt and has to have it's sugar converted! But really mashing and steeping are basically the same if you are mini mashing. You just have to pay closer attention to temps!!

SWEEEET! These are really good prices and seeing as how I am now officially an 'all grain' brewing I can take advantage of this. Thank you for sharing dude!

i guess i will buy it. I have all the stuff you need for partial mashes. If anything, I will save money on DME and LME

Whoever orders from em first be sure to update this thread or another... We do have quite a few brewers that are close enough to portland that it might be worth the drive...

Nice prices. Here in the northeast I haven't found a price better than $50+ for 50 lbs. Plus shipping.
Yup, $1/# is about the norm for bulk when you are this far from the grain belt. Even at $33 for a 50# sack, the shipping would kill us. Better for us NE folks to support the LHBS. (I did get a gentle warning last time I picked up 110# of grain that I should call ahead and let them know I want lots of grain. :cross: I think I bought up all their Maris Otter. :eek:)

Before I started buying in bulk for .49 a pound, I was paying $60 a sack at the LHBS.
Back then, I would have jumped all over 30-35 dollar sacks.

I have traded a few emails with Jay @ Brew Brothers - very forthcoming with info. I don't have a crusher so I will just buy some by the pound and let them crush for me. I am usually within a mile of them once a week so it is convenient for me.

Back