Hole size in sparge ring or a mesh in the lauter tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaC - Brew

Reaction score
Hi.

I made a copper sparge ring for my setup with a raisable lautertun in a brewkettle. The holes in the lautertun are 20 x 2 mm and covers the entire bottom. The holes in the sparge ring are made with a metal saw.

Sparge%20019.JPG

BrygApril08%20014.JPG

Brygning%20023.JPG

More photos can be seen at my homepage in the section called Gør det selv.(In danish).

But at the first mash, the sparge ring got clogged. Can I have your oppinion on this?
Should I make the holes in the sparge ring larger, or put in a 316 stainless steel mesh with 1 mm holes in to cover the bottom of the lautertun. (I have this mesh available).

Regards¨

Lars Reinholdt Christensen
Denmark.

Hi.

Really no one with a suggestion or oppinion on this?

Should I make the holes in the sparge ring larger, or put a fine meshed wireweb in the mashtun as a strainer above the existing bottom/strainer? (my english isn't so well, so may be I did't get the question right the first time?)

Regards

Lars
Denmark
www.larchris.dk

I am guessing that you are recirculating your mash through the sparge ring...

If that is the case, are you vorlaufing to clear the wort before running it through the ring? The first couple liters of wort will have a large amount of husk and grain material in it, so you will not want to run that through your sparge ring.

If you are just sparging water through the sparge ring, and it is getting stuck, I don't think bigger holes will do it for you.

Hva' saa, ven? Jeg har boet i Faaborg, Danmark foer - 1995-1996. Mit skriflig dansk er ikke saa godt nu, saa jeg haabe du foerstaa mig.... (det har vaeret laenge siden jeg har snakket dansk....)

Det er fedt at har Dansker her nu! Isaer fordig det var danskerne som laerte mig at drikke ol! :mug:

Jeg kikkede paa dit hjemmeside - nice work!

Anyway, the last poster, Boerderij, makes a good point about vorlaufing before circulating through the sparge ring.

Tillykke med din bryggeri!

og, skaal!

Hi.

Thank You for the answers. You're right. I used a pump to cirkulate without a vorlauf i a directly heated kettle. I'll try to make a vorlauf the next time I brew. Additionally, I've made up my mind: I'll cut my stainless steel wiremesh to fit the bottom of the mashtun. I'll probably have to stir the mash up a few times during mashing. So the mesh is to prevent larger particles from going into the cirkulation.

To Sleepy Stevenson:

Your Danish is quite good. Probably better than my english :)
We are quite a lot of craft and handbrewers here in Denmark, and I know for sure that several of these are members here on Homebrewtalk.

So heres to You - Skål og højt skum.

Regards
Lars
www.larchris.dk

What I want to know is where you got that raisable luater tun!!!

Do you do the 'Brew in a Bag' method of brewing?

(Det er altid godt at møde nye venner :) )

I dont,'t brew in a bag. We were some brewers who tried to get this system build, and the raisable lauter tun is made in stainless steel by a lokal smith who owed one of my brewfriends in the local brewclub a favor. The crane is build by my brother in law, who's a smith too. It's made out of stuff we found on the scrap yard for the cost in weight. So that one was cheap (about 45$ with everything)
I have a page with photos of the construction of the crane here: http://www.larchris.dk/hejs.htm

You can use google translate and get a funny translation of the words.

Regards
Lars
www.larchris.dk

Back