ordered more rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
So I finally ordered 4 more rhizomes. The ones I got from freshops just aren't going anywhere. thet have been in a pot with moist soil for about 2 weeks (one of them in 60F) and nothing is growing.

So I placed an order with Midwest Supplies for 2 more Cascades and 2 more Mt Hood. Most other suppliers were already of of rhizomes. Hopefully thet will do a little better. If, by some miracle, the initial set of rhisomes start to grow I'll have a place for them too, but with the rhizome season coming to an end, I don't want to be left out ;)

Next year, I'll be looking into trading rhizomes. I'm done with paying for rotten sticks.

Edit: all 4 of the rhizomes I ordered are actually showing some signs of life. Just took a while. I just don't want to blame it on freshops.com

Kai

I'm thinking of ordering some more, too. I've got another place that gets a litte bit more sun, I might try and grow some there in addition to the ones I have along the fence.

I too have had an epiphany on another growing spot for hops. I am considering either ordering more, or splitting up the 2 plants (assuming the Centennial starts growing). I built a PVC pipe trellis thing, but today I thought of growing them down from a line from my (2nd story) bedroom / roof near my bedroom, or off of my deck. I could get a good 11' or so if hanging from my deck.

I ran out of spaces for mine. So I have two Goldings rhizomes that I think I'll pot up soon and see what I can get them to do.

I haven't ordered any rhizomes yet, and I won't this year. Guess I missed the bandwagon.

Maybe next year I'll take the time to build a proper trellis and will have a hop garden.

Actually, I just remembered the reason that I put the hops where I did was so that the dog wouldn't be able to get into them and, you know, DIE. So, I guess I'll forgoe any additional plantings, at least until it's time to find a bigger house.

I purchased mine from Midwest. 5 of the 6 had shoots starting up when I put them in the ground yesterday. The 6th, Cascade my favorite, didn't have anything happening. I'll give it a couple of days, then see if anything is happening. If not, I may go for the Cascade crowns on ebay.

I ordered more from Freshops and I'm out of town and can't check on my babies :(

looks like I didn't get rotten sticks after all. Two of the 4 rhizomes show signs of life. :ban:

Time to clear out a few more spots for the other 4 rhizomes.

Kai

All 12 of my FH rhizomes are putting out multiple shoots. They have been in the ground for 2 weeks. Funny how fast these little suckers grow!

I got 4 Cascade from Freshops and they didn't take long at all to start sprouting. However, one of them is particularly energetic, and is already 3-4 times the size of the others. I am wondering how tall they have to be before I start training them up a stick. It's too early to plant outside here.

I'm estimating the big one is about 16-24" now.

What is odd, is that it's mostly stem, and few leaves. Not like some of the pics I've seen. Perhaps I need to give them more sun. It's been overcast the past few days, and likely the rest of the week.

Evan! said:
I ran out of spaces for mine. So I have two Goldings rhizomes that I think I'll pot up soon and see what I can get them to do.

I personally know that you can at least abuse them and keep them alive :eek: I bought a Chinook rhizome two years ago. This is supposedly also a good decorative variety. So my plan has been to put it in the front of our house behind the retaining wall that runs along the driveway. Well, that's been the plan for 2 yrs now........ Since then the poor chinook has been growing in a 1 gal pot. It hasn't made any cones, but it is still alive! We're just finishing up replacing the retaining wall so in the next couple of weeks the poor abused chinook will go in the ground. Now I need to build a small pergola over the garage for it to grow on. Otherwise it will just be some twine up to the roof.

So, if nothing else, it can be kept alive for several years until you find the proper spot. You might not get any cones and it will look scraggly. I actually intentionally kept it a bit shady so it wouldn't grow to much and need a lot of watering.

Rhizomes & hop plants are very dependent on soil temperature and each variety is different. I have a small forest of Cascades, but only one Sunbeam shoot and that just came out this week. Looking at some sun & warmer weather next week. I'll believe after the fact.

I start training mine around 3 feet, which is none of them yet.

Latest posts

Back