STC 1000 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_rouse

Reaction score
Okay I have searched online and have not ran across a solution yet. I'm trying to hard wire the STC 1000 into the freezers power cord (and I have seen this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-hard-wire-stc-1000-a-385792/ thread). I guess I'm not the best with schematics but there is a few things I'm confused on so far I'm at this point

image-3891605233.jpg

But on the schematics I've seen so far there needs to be a jumper wire from the 1 spot( primary hot) to the 7 spot( cooling hot). My question is when I run a jumper do I leave the black part of the cord going into the freezer in with the jumper like so

image-3379646038.jpg

I'm almost positive this is what is supposed to happen but I wanted some extra assurance before I blow every breaker in the house. Hopefully this question isn't overly mundane thanks guys!

Okay I've answered myself I read a little and had it wired right but it took me have to fill a cup with hot water and putting the probe into or it to kick on.

You might consider reworking the wires a little while you have it on the bench. There's a little too much copper showing outside those connectors, especially that green one on #1. If the green one touches the white one, hopefully, only a circuit breaker will trip.

Not sure what the wires from #7&8 are routed to in the second photo, is the black one clipped?

A basic question: Have you simply taken the hot/black and neutral/white wires inside the freezer, cut them, and inserted the stc1000. And except for the green wire, the wires are all pre-existing? If so that lower photo will not work if #7 has the green wire and #8 has the white wire. The first time the controller turns on, 120vac will be applied to the neutral buss of the freezer and hopefully that won't let any smoke out.

Why di you have the outer case off of the controller? To make more room in a box maybe? I would strongly advize aganst operating it like that because all kinds of nasties and stuff can get in and do damage to the controller, let alone that it also would create a fire hazard. Put the case back on and get a bigger box, you'll be much happier with a little extra room too.

Wheelchair Bob

You have the black wire right but the white wire going to the freezer should not be there. The white wire to the freezer should splice directly into the white wire powering the controller.

Why di you have the outer case off of the controller? To make more room in a box maybe? I would strongly advize aganst operating it like that because all kinds of nasties and stuff can get in and do damage to the controller, let alone that it also would create a fire hazard. Put the case back on and get a bigger box, you'll be much happier with a little extra room too.

Wheelchair Bob

I'm not the OP, but I seriously doubt he's going to run the controller without the case on it. The outer case was removed for illustration purposes and gives a better idea to the other members what he's wanting to do and/or trying to achieve.

Yesfan said:
I'm not the OP, but I seriously doubt he's going to run the controller without the case on it. The outer case was removed for illustration purposes .

Yes that was my intention thanks for vein the one guy to show a little faith in the human race.

Back