im working away so i have to leave my beer!!! its almost dun fermenting bottle early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christianbrowny

Reaction score
so ive never brewed before im using this

Thomas Coopers Heritage Lager
( http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...age_Lager_Beer_Kit_40_pints.html#.UJ5FUIdSiOs )

so its been about a week but my house has been probably a bit cold (nothing much was happening so i bought it a heating belt and now its bubbling way), its still bubbling away, its not far off the bottle band on my gravomitor.

it would it be ok to leave it another week while im away?
would it be ok to add a cup of shuga so it ferments a bit longer? (since im going to be away anyway), i wouldnt mind it been stronger :drunk:

thanks

I usally leave my beers in primary for 6-8 weeks and have seen an improvement from when i only left them for 3. extra time is almost always a good thing :)

Being a lager beer,it should be fermenting cold. So9 it'll take longer anyway. Not to mention diecytl rests & lagering at cooler temps. They aren't brewed the same as ales.

Yeah, definitely just leave it. You probably shouldn't have that heater belt on it if you used a lager yeast. I can't imagine your house being colder than what most lager yeasts want.

One thing though. This phrase bothers me: "its not far off the bottle band on my gravomitor."

I'm assuming a gravomitor is a density measuring device which most of us would call a hydrometer. What scares me is that you seem to be talking about a band on it that's been marked where you intend to automatically bottle it. Really, your final gravity will depend heavily on the recipe and the type of yeast used. When you think it's done, measure the gravity for 3 days running and if it doesn't change, then you are done.

Back