immersion chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paithian

Reaction score
So I get decent temps on my ground water but just switched from partital boil extract to all grain and only have a 20 foot chiller took me 20 mins from boil to 70 would I really see much diffrence if I made a 50 foot chiller

Never used a 50 foot chiller. From what I have heard and understand about science, by the time the cold water gets 25 or so feet through the chiller it has already exchanged as much heat as it can. 20 minutes doesn't seem bad compared to my chill times. I get from boil to 75-80 in about the same time, maybe a little more. I bring it the rest of the way in my ferm chamber.

For what its worth my plan, when I upgrade to a keggle for my BK, Im turning my current 25 foot into a prechiller and buying another for the kettle. I personally would rather go that route than an expensive plate chiller and dealing with cleaning and sanitizing of it.

Xpertskir said:
For what its worth my plan, when I upgrade to a keggle for my BK, Im turning my current 25 foot into a prechiller and buying another for the kettle. I personally would rather go that route than an expensive plate chiller and dealing with cleaning and sanitizing of it.

When i upgrdaded to a keggle, i added a parallel circuit to my existing IC.

hmm.... It takes me about 5 minutes or so to go from boil to 70. It is a shorter chiller - 20ft? City water. I run the water as fast as the faucet will allow.

I live in Mississippi so my water is usually 80+ degrees coming out of the spigot. What I usually do is run tap water through until I'm around 100* then I have a cheap pond pump that I use to circulate ice water with. I just leave the pump attached on one side, and a garden hose on the other. The water exits through the pump when attached to the faucet, then I just take it off the faucet and reverse it with the pump. I just recirculate the same water through the ice.

I do have a 40' chiller, but just giving you an alternative in case you don't want to get a bigger chiller.

I agree that 20 mins isn't bad though.

Back