BeerSmith2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wow using the HELP button really works. LOL :ban:

Think I finally figured out how to set up my Equipment and Mash Profiles. Now things look so much more like what I actually do. One problem was my Mash Tun. I BIAB and the software assumes you will mash in your boil kettle not in a 5 gallon Colman cooler. 1 gallon difference in the two. Ah Ha! Lookin' good Steve! :rockin:

Uh, just set your equipment to be 5 gallon round cooler + BK (whatever size you are using). I assume you know how to get to the equipment setup screen, since you have it set to BIAB now, right?

Go to Profiles, then click Equipment, and either click one of the appropriate "Pot and Cooler" combos listed if it exists, or else create a new profile with the equipment you have.

Then in your recipe, just select that as the brewing equipment profile to use.

Nevermind, I didnt read the title and thought you were talking about something on this site...

Uh, just set your equipment to be 5 gallon round cooler + BK (whatever size you are using). I assume you know how to get to the equipment setup screen, since you have it set to BIAB now, right?

Go to Profiles, then click Equipment, and either click one of the appropriate "Pot and Cooler" combos listed if it exists, or else create a new profile with the equipment you have.

Then in your recipe, just select that as the brewing equipment profile to use.

Dang It! I never looked that far down on the list. Must be old age. Stopped w/the last BIAB listing. :tank:

Big Mahalo Weirdboy

OOPS The only choise is 5 gallon cooler and 7 gallon brew pot. Don't see how to adjust brew pot size. I have a 4 gallon brew bot.

Dang It! I never looked that far down on the list. Must be old age. Stopped w/the last BIAB listing. :tank:

Big Mahalo Weirdboy

OOPS The only choise is 5 gallon cooler and 7 gallon brew pot. Don't see how to adjust brew pot size. I have a 4 gallon brew bot.

Right, so in that case you have to add an equipment profile. There is a big button at the top to do so. I think the default MLT size is 5 gallons, and it's set up to be like a cooler. For the smaller pot, you will have to uncheck the option that says "Calculate Boil Volume Automatically" and set it to something that will fit in your pot. Maybe 3 gallons or 3.25 gallons if you're feeling randy.

For those of you who used to use BeerSmith, is there a huge difference in BS2? I see that there are improvements like tabs, the graphics, and it mentions that it automatically connects and updates ingredients, but have you guys found that any of the new features has significantly helped you? I saw that you mentioned the help function helps you out more, but I'm on the fence about getting it.

Right, so in that case you have to add an equipment profile. There is a big button at the top to do so. I think the default MLT size is 5 gallons, and it's set up to be like a cooler. For the smaller pot, you will have to uncheck the option that says "Calculate Boil Volume Automatically" and set it to something that will fit in your pot. Maybe 3 gallons or 3.25 gallons if you're feeling randy.

Hey thanks again. Really good Xmas present from you. Got it now, looks good.

Wife also gave me a 5 gallon SS pot for doing "double" batches. Been wanting to try to try different yeast on the same mash. Now I can.

Mele Kalikimaka to you Weirdboy :mug:

For those of you who used to use BeerSmith, is there a huge difference in BS2? I see that there are improvements like tabs, the graphics, and it mentions that it automatically connects and updates ingredients, but have you guys found that any of the new features has significantly helped you? I saw that you mentioned the help function helps you out more, but I'm on the fence about getting it.

Are you using BS v1? I started w/that and got the free upgrade so it was a no brainer. yes lots of differences, easier to use but don't ask for specifics.

Are you using BS v1? I started w/that and got the free upgrade so it was a no brainer. yes lots of differences, easier to use but don't ask for specifics.

Yeah, I've been using BS1 but I wanted to see what new features in BS2 caused people to upgrade. I saw that they have a 21 day free trial, so I downloaded it. The fermenting/aging profile is pretty cool, and I bet it's really handy when doing lagers.

How did your Torpedo clone turn out? I am wanting to brew that one as well.

In a blind taste test the Xmas day they were really close, but anyone who brews could tell the cloudy one was the clone. Since then they all turned into gushers, but I open fast, pour fast and they taste good but not the same. Good luck on yours.

Back