Label adhesives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornkob

Resident Crazy Uncle
Reaction score
I'm was thinking I might use alternative paper sources (handmade paper, recycled paper items, decorative papers) for 'gift bottles'. Given that I won't be using pre-gummed labels, anyone have experience with different kinds of adhesives to use.

Naturally I'd want the label to stay in place even when refrigerated and at least do a reasonable job of staying in place if the bottle sweats but I'd rather not have to use a blow torch to get the labels off again as I reuse them.

A commercially available spray adhesive would be terrific, if such a thing existed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experience?

Glue sticks seem to work pretty good, I'm just getting started brewing, I have a bunch bottled and labled but I can't tell you how well it will hold up yet.

Craft stores have a sticker maker in the scrap book section. It basically puts a sticker backing on anything you want. It is what I plan to use when I finally get around to making my labels. the only thing i have to figure out is getting some kind of water resistant spray or coating for the labels themselves. the sticker makers is called create a sticker and it comes in different sizes. i have the 500 model, which makes labels up to 5" wide and comes in rolls of 18 ft. the web site is www.xyron.com

I've heard of people using (a) milk and (b) flour-n-water for adhesives. I don't know how well they stand up to bottle sweat, but there's a couple of house-hold solutions for you.

Also, I'm *sure* there has to be some sort of spray-on adhesive on the market. Seems to useful to NOT exist. Check hardware and crafts stores.

-walker

hmmm....

I wonder if plain old Elmer's Glue would work? Just dilute it with some water or something and put it into a spray bottle (be sure to clean it well immediately after using it!)

Or, just water it down and brush it on the labels.

-walker

Milk will work but I don't know how well it will stick once its completely dry, add to that the problem of getting your lables sloppy wet. Flour and water paste doesn't stick to anything smooth once it dries. For a good spray on adhiesive, 3M 77 spray is about the best but it can be a bear to remove.

Now for setting the printer inks, a few light coats of ordinary hairspray works great for that purpose, most swmbo's have at least one can.

Walker said:
Also, I'm *sure* there has to be some sort of spray-on adhesive on the market. Seems to useful to NOT exist. Check hardware and crafts stores.

Absolutely. There are all sorts of adhesives used for mounting art you should be able to get at a Michael's/Joanne's/AC Moore type store with varying degrees of adhesiveness.

I have a couple of spray adhesives I use for affixing foam to kayaks that I get at Home Depot: 3M Spray Adhesive 77 and 90. I think the 77 would probably affix the label a bit more firmly than most people prefer, and I know the 90 would (if it even adheres to paper).

kornkob said:
I'm was thinking I might use alternative paper sources (handmade paper, recycled paper items, decorative papers) for 'gift bottles'. Given that I won't be using pre-gummed labels, anyone have experience with different kinds of adhesives to use.

Naturally I'd want the label to stay in place even when refrigerated and at least do a reasonable job of staying in place if the bottle sweats but I'd rather not have to use a blow torch to get the labels off again as I reuse them.

A commercially available spray adhesive would be terrific, if such a thing existed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experience?

there is a special tape that picture framers use called ATG adheasive tape glue

and thats exactly what it is. a tape that you apply around the perimeter then you peel the backing like a double stick tape but its thin and comes off glass

the bad is its kinda expensive and sometimes difficult to find a small indipendent frame shop will probabl;y sell you some if you cant find it

andrew

Use a Glue Stick - it stands up well, and soaks off like a dream.
As for that "glossy" look - or for some protection from water - go to your local hobby store, and get some spray on clear coat.

Just make sure that you spray it on - BEFORE - you stick it on,
Spraying it on afterwards will seal the edge of the label, and thus make it more impervious to water - making it a bear to get off.

If you print the whole sheet, then give it a few coats , let it dry, then cut to size, and glue.

Kilroy

The happy mug said:
stick glue can't be beat. A quick run around each label, then stick it to each bottle, it holds through sweat and refridgeraton. It washes away like nothing.
I agree. It seems to the the perfect adhesive.

Hi Orfy, thats what I've been using. seems the PVA sticks a bit TOO well, and it's a bit awkward to get the label off, you end up having to scrub it. will try prittstick for a bit next and see.... how did you get on??

kenmc said:
Hi Orfy, thats what I've been using. seems the PVA sticks a bit TOO well, and it's a bit awkward to get the label off, you end up having to scrub it. will try prittstick for a bit next and see.... how did you get on??

I dilute it 3 water to 1 pva and the labels come of very easily just warm tap water for a few seconds and the fall off an the residue washes away with out scrubing.
I'm happy with it.

Yeah I guess so. it's called polybond here - used in the DIY/Building trade, for sealing, gluing, sticking, priming etc so must be it.
I dilute it about 4 or 5 to 1, maybe even more.

Enough to do 100's if not 1000's of labels for a few £s

You can buy it from most craft, hobby or diy places in sizes from 50ml upwards. I bought 500ml for a few quid. It's either solds as a sealer or an adhesive. It's totaly water soluble.

This is a solution which is great depending on just how many times and for how many different things you want to use the bottle.

I was at a Meadery just this last weekend where I discovered a place that silkscreens their labels on. That's right, silkscreen. Therefore, there's no actual sticker or glue, just a neat little design that won't come off despite the cleaning agents you might through at it (although I'm sure something would work, after all, there's nothing like a good scrubbing).

I thought this was really interesting and something to consider when making labels.

Capt. Ob.

Rubber glues don't dry as flat as you'd like them too. For sweating bottles, you wanna use good old fashioned water based white glue like elmers. This way you can soak them, and the glue will come right off too. Also, the clear spray on your bottles is a great idea too. It'll give them that 'varished' professional look. Just be careful not to spray the neck/tops. That can be gross when pouring your beer into a glass over it. I work at a pressure sensitive label company and I've been experimenting for years now. The simplest options are still the best thing you can do.

Primary: Pumpkin Wheat Ale
Secondary: Token's Untempered Cider
Bottled/Conditioning: Honey Wheat Ale

Does plain old elmer's glue come in any form other than the plain old white bottle with the orange applicator? That applicator jsut doesn't seem like the best choice to me. I was kidna hoping for a spray of some sort so that it was evenly applied.

I would like to take this opportunity to advocate the many wonders of string. I never use adhesives at all, just string. And, admittedly, a hole punch. It's easy. There's no mess. (Unless you punch a hole through your hand. To be avoided.)

You might want to use paper that's thicker than normal. Punch a hole in the corner of each label and thread a piece of string through each hole. (Not the same piece of string.)

Make a loop big enough to fit over the neck of the bottle. Enjoy the look of pathetic gratitude on your friends' faces as they realize that they can take the labels with them as souvenirs! And, while doing this, they're de-labeling your bottles so that you don't have to for your next batch!

String -- Incredible! :)

Glue stick, glue stick, glue stick. Easy, peels off if you need, not a big sticky mess like milk, and won't make the label ink "run" if you are just printing via ink jet. Glue stick is the best thing I've found...I just run along the edges and cross the middle of the label...never had a problem. Cheers!

won't make the label ink "run"

If you spray a few light coats of hair spray on your lables it will seal the printer ink and keep it from running. I do it on mine and the ink doesn't even run when I soak the lables to remove them.

And I agree, Glue Stick! Glue Stick! Glue Stick! Lables stay stuck until you don't want them stuck any longer then you just hit them with some warm water and rub them off, no messy residue on the bottle.

Back