• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Odell's (Makers Mark) Bourbon Barrel Stout Barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doobliebop

Reaction score
FYI - Fort Collins, CO. Odell's is selling a bunch of used Makers Mark barrels they used to make their Bourbon Barrel Stout. $50, seems like there is plenty still available. Pick up on-site during tap-room hours.

Would have gotten one, but the wife said no.

Any ideas on how to properly sanitize them? I think our brew club has some and have discussed possibly aging a group brew in one.

Campden tablets are typically used to sanitize barrels... then throw some whiskey in until you're ready to use them.

It is my understanding that barrels need to be stored wet on the inside. If they are allowed to dry out, they shrink and then they leak.

Hey dr-

If you can't find enough guys in the Springs to help you fill it, let me know the recipe and I will contribute 5-10 gallons....assuming I get it back after proper aging!

Hmmmm! Aged beer is hard to give back! I will definately let you know. We are thinking of throwing a party and brewing in Dec. Still contemplaing the recipe.

Mixed a solution of sodium carbonate, let it sit 24 hrs then drain. Then mixed a solution of citric acid, let sit, drain. Last filled with a solution of both, now waiting to transfer. I read this for the info.

Latest posts

Back