Oyster stout/Oatmeal Stout experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am trying to make an Oyster Stout, but most that I have tasted are quite lean in the mouth.

In an attempt to rectify this, I added some Oatmeal to help with the mouthfeel.

What do you think?

Recipe: Oyster Oatmeal Stout (based off of Whitstable Oyster Stout Clone from Beer Captured)

Partial Mash

1.5 lbs - British 2-row (Maris Otter)
14 oz - Roasted Barley
2 oz - British Roasted Barley
6 oz - British Brown Malt
6 oz - British Chocolate Malt
8 oz - Flaked Oats
3.5 lbs Light DME
1.25 oz - Northern Brewer @ 85 AA

White Labs London Ale Yeast

I'm going for 1.49 - 1.52 sg and final 1.10-1.12 sg.

It's currently boiling on the stove, so I guess I will find out soon enough....

Looks good.

There s a great brewery in Ireland called the Porterhouse that does a fantastic Oyster Stout (they use real oysters!).

I was a little too nervous about using fermenting animal protein in something I am going to drink! Do they pasteurize anything before or after they make it?

I was a little too nervous about using fermenting animal protein in something I am going to drink! Do they pasteurize anything before or after they make it?

http://***********/stories/recipes/article/indices/51-recipe-exchange/233-black-pearl-oyster-stout has a recipe using real oysters. They put them in the boil and leave behind when they transfer to primary.

i dont know if I would want real oysters in my beer either... Originally born and raised in Maine and I LOOOOVE SEAFOOD... but I like my beer seperate :) your recipie sounds interesting though, looking forward to seeing the results!

i dont know if I would want real oysters in my beer either... Originally born and raised in Maine and I LOOOOVE SEAFOOD... but I like my beer seperate :) your recipie sounds interesting though, looking forward to seeing the results!

I managed to get my hands on some of Harpoon's limited Oyster Stout - brewed with real oysters. It was fantastic. No fishy taste whatsoever.

Back