Beersmith volumes wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastermm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love beersmith. Recently I have switched to an all-grain setup. I have a igloo 10 gallon cooler with a braid and a big turkey deep fryer as a boiler. (I fly sparge)

I'm pretty sure I have entered my equipment correctly. Recently beersmith has been giving me incorrect volumes. I ask for a 5 gallon recipe, enter the ingredients, and select my mash profile, and it always underestimates the amount of wort to collect.

Here, for example, I have the "Orange-Honey Hefewiezen" recipe from: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/orange-honey-hefeweizen-69499/.

Beersmith tells me to mash with 11.25 qts, and sparge with 4.5 qts, for a max of 15.75 qts collected (assuming no grain absorption, etc...).

15.75 qts = 3.94 gallons. Even with no boiloff, it's impossible to gain 1 gallon to make 5 gallons.

What am I doing wrong?

View attachment OrangeHoneyHefe.bsm

Yep, you missed your sparge water in the instructions

go to preview brew sheet.. you are told to sparge with 3.73 gallons

Ya, it sounds like you're missing a sparge. ;)

Have you configured the evaporation rate and lost to boil trub and chiller settings?

Back