Carbing after Campden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrice

Reaction score
I used a bit of Campden on a cyser that I have since aged on oak about two months. I intend to repitch a bit of yeast and prime, then bottle. Does anyone know any reason why this will not work? If so, please speak now or forever hold your peace. Thank you!

did your cyser ferment all the way out before you campden'd it? if not, then the yeast will eat the priming sugar as well as all the other sugar in the bottle, resulting in over-carbed cyser, or perhaps even bottle bombs. If you got the cyser down to terminal gravity first, then you should be fine.

Freeze is right, if there's any residual sugar the yeast will eat all that along with the priming sugar. If you want sweet AND carbonated, there's only two ways to do it; kill the yeast, keg and force carb, or use a non fermentable sugar like lactose or sucralose (splenda) to sweeten.

No, it fermented all the way. I let it go 2 months down to sg 1.006. It was definately done. So what happens now?

Back